What a Bright Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Junkyard
What a Bright Snake

Unfortunately no photos, but a good story.

My little Anery Boa was pacing her cage hungry, so I took her out under the agreement that she does not tell the other snakes that she was fed tonight. I do not need a riot. So I grabbed a feed box and took her out and placed her back in, but not before reminding her of our agreement. I than dropped in a mouse which landed behind her body. The Anery, excited, lunged at the mouse and quickly grabbed her OWN tail and started twisting like crazy trying to figure out how to kill this thing that is wiggling around and not letting her get the squeeze.

So as I tilted my head like a dog that just heard it's owner pass gas, I stared at the sight for a minute wondering if she can figure out the difference between her tail and a mouse. She could not, so I removed the mouse and helped her release her tail. At this point the look on her face was classic, she was stunned and even embarrassed. If ever a snake made the impression of the loss of dignity, she had done just that. I dropped the mouse back in and this time she hit the mouse with full force and finished the job right.

"As we say in Latin, she is a Dorkus Melorkus"
-Bart Simpson

Old 02-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
Bill & Amy
Too Funny, that was a hungry snake!!

Old 02-04-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
hhmoore
LOL. I recently saw one I would have loved to catch on film, too. I was feeding one of my baby dumeril's (little bugger still refuses to even look at f/t), dropped the mouse in, and the snake immediately zeroed in on it. Moved right in and pressed her nose up against the mouse's butt. Startled, the mouse took a little hop...but the snake pressed on. Then, the mouse started tentatively walking, nervously looking back at the thing that continued nudging the back of its front. After about 10 seconds (seemed like a lot longer), the snake just opened up and bit the mouse right on the a$$. The mouse shrieked, jumped, tried to run, and jumped again - breaking free. The snake struck again, missed and bit herself (didn't hold on long, though). She then went right back and grabbed the mouse by the back leg (she's so dumb)...couldn't manage to constrict it because the darn thing was bouncing all over the place trying to get free. I had to flick the mouse so she could get a coil around it, then she wound herself up into the tightest ball I have seen in some time (not quite sure how she managed to eat it like that but she did)

Old 02-04-2006, 03:15 AM   #4
LakesideBoas
Too funny! Yours must be related to mine...or they went to the same culinary school together!

When Gaia was much smaller than he is now he struck and "killed" his f/t rat then proceeded to wrap it up like Christmas. When I looked in on him a few minutes later to see if he was done yet he had managed to swallow about 1/2 of the rat...and 3 inches of his tail! I had a fun time trying to remove his tail and convince him I didn't want his rat!

Old 02-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
Cat_72
LOL, excellent story Michael, I only wish you had gotten pics!!! Poor girl, heh heh...

Old 02-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
mikeydadog
I know this is the wrong forum for this pic but sounds as bright as this one

Old 02-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
mikeydadog
Sorry for the double post, My bad!I know this is the wrong forum for this pic but sounds as bright as this one

Old 02-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Junkyard
Thanks for the stories, very funny. I had a great laugh watching my yearling corn this last feeding also. Something about this week.....

When it comes to pinks and fuzzies I feed live, so this little corn is always hungry and loves pinkies. I decided to move her up to fuzzies for the first time. I dropped in the mouse and she excitedly went after it, she reached over around her body and gently grabbed the mouse on its rear end. This is the funny part, the mouse never squeaked, but continued to walk dragging the corn behind it. If ever I had the camera, this was a site to see, a fuzzy mouse trying to perform a tractor pull using a snake. The corn was pulled for about 3-4 inches, the look on her face was one to say "this thing moves a lot more then my last meal"

Th corn wised up and wrapped around the mouse, but the laughs were and still are endless.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
liquidleaf
Hee hee - Junkyard, that reminds me of last summer - I was out front watering plants in my front yard, and I heard a ruckus in the dry leaves under my porch stairs. I looked, and saw a small garter? snake trying to eat a large toad. Well, the snake had swallowed one of the toad's back legs, but there was no way the rest of the toad would fit. The snake just kept trying, but the toad kept hopping around dragging the snake behind it. I watched the stalemate for about an hour, then figured both of them were going to be hurt if they kept on.... so got some warm water from the house and dumped it on the snake's face. The poor snake barfed up the toad's leg and they both went on their not-so-merry ways.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!