Information on black pine snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Mythreefarmboys
Information on black pine snakes

I recently aquired a female black pine snake. I have Ball Pythons, so this is a new area for me.
I got her from an older lady who was retiring from snakes, and knew I would take care of her.
She is about 6 ft long, and the friendliest snake you have ever met. She used her for reptile exhibitions at schools.
I have been on the internet looking up information, but not a lot available.
Is she just a variation of a pine snake because of her color, or is it a separate snake?
If someone knows a good web site, or a good book, I would really appreciate it.

Also, if this is not the right area to get this information, please let me know.
Thanks,
Gretchen

Old 03-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
collideoverme
They are just a variation of your Northern Pines and Southern Pines. They can be kept just like any other pituophis. They love to dig, so I would give them at least a couple of inches at least of aspen due to his/her size, and a large hide. My two black pines are eating machines but are the sweetest snakes. They are pretty easy to keep. Congrats on your new snake and enjoy!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Mythreefarmboys
Thanks for your help. Are there any good books or sites?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
AcmeMan
Gretchen,
Try Tim Spuckler's website www.thirdeyeherp.com. He writes articles for Reptiles magazine. He is very knowledgeable and his pine snake page has very good info on the Black Pine as well as the Northern Pine (the two best pines!). As for books, there is only one book I know of that deals with Pituophis only and that is "Pine Snakes" by W.P. Mara. Unfortunately it has very little info about the Black Pine specifically but it's worth having if you like Pine snakes. "Snakes of North America Eastern and Central Regions" by Alan Tennant and R.D. Bartlett is a field guide of all N.A. snakes but it has some very interesting and informative info on Black Pines and the book is definitely worth owning if you can find a copy. In case you didn't already know this, the Black Pine is Pituophis melanoleucus lodingi scientifically speaking.

I hope you take good care of her and enjoy owning her. If you need any help or ever need to find a new home for her, please feel free to contact me.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
collideoverme
Tim Spuckler is who I got my N. Pines from. Excellent guy! I also have that very same field guide. Another guy who you might consider looking up is Terry Vandeventer. He is more known for his work with the Louisiana Pines, but again, the husbandry will not be too different than most Pines, Bulls, or Gophersnakes.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
Clay Davenport
Moved to the discussion forum

Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Mythreefarmboys
Thank you both for your input. This helped a lot.

I love my BPs, but this is the most personable snake I have ever owned.
Thanks again.
Gretchen

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!