Carnivorous Plants - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #21
Outcast
Laura, I love that third one in your first group of pictures. Definitely one on my list. And, so are the Sarracenia species.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #22
WebSlave
I'm thinking I will shy away from the pitcher plants, as there is probably more likelihood that are green anoles will get killed in them than the other types. I actually think the sundews will be more useful around here for the mosquitoes and gnats then the flytraps. But the flytraps are just so intriguing looking that I HAVE to get some of them.

Interestingly enough, I found out that a major relocated flytrap population is located not far from here (maybe 30 to 40 minute drive) near a town called Hosford. I'm not sure what sort of protected status it will have, though, since the flytraps are probably considered a non-native invader. I was reading an account about a similar colony somewhere in California that was completely destroyed by the "authorities", because of it's non-native status.

There are spots around here where the little red colored round leafed sundews literally cover the ground bordering the roads. I just recently started paying attention to them. To bad I don't have any sort of natural bog area (I think) on our property, otherwise there would probably already be a healthy bunch of them living here. We have a stream on the north end, but it's rather heavily wooded, and not likely a very good habitat for carnivorous plants. But there are sections on our property that we've never even seen yet, so who knows? One of these days I guess I'll have to go looking...

Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
LauraB
Quote:
I love that third one in your first group of pictures. Definitely one on my list.
That's a Cephalotus follicularis, really cool pitcher native to Austrailia. The Nepenthes are must-have's too, IMO.

Quote:
I'm thinking I will shy away from the pitcher plants, as there is probably more likelihood that are green anoles will get killed in them than the other types
There are plenty of anoles here, too. I've never seen an anole victim in any of my plants. I've seen ants, moths, flies, beetles, etc .... never any native lizard.

Here's what's visible after a harvestman evidently ventured too close
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
Outcast
Yeah. Nepenthes are definitely on my list when I can set up a green house with a small pond in it for moisture (as I live in the desert). Also, I have been waiting on one place to get Ceph's in for a while now. As soon as they have them in stock I will be purchasing some. They are so cool...

Oh, and my leaf pulling has two leaves growing out on it now, they are so tiny and cute! Really excited about it, since one of the horticulture professors here at NMSU swears up and down the VFT's are hard to grow....

Old 04-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #25
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
There are plenty of anoles here, too. I've never seen an anole victim in any of my plants. I've seen ants, moths, flies, beetles, etc .... never any native lizard.
Ah well, then OK. Connie and I went to a local nursery and they have some pitcher plants there, so I wound up picking up one.

Hope we get some rain to fill up that tray I set up and I can start on the second one. Got some VFTs and sundews on order. I guess I'm going to have to pick up a couple of gallon jugs of distilled water next time we go to the grocery store.

I'm thinking that when I get the sundews nice and established, I can set a block of Octenol mosquito attractant next to them to help bring in the meals for them. Just seems to be something REAL satisfying and highly appropriate about having plants that will feed on those bloodsuckers trying to feed on us. And if I can get the VFTs to tackle the yellow flies when they show up, that will be just GREAT!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #26
WebSlave
Took some pics of the initial carnivorous plants we have. They are still in their original pots, as the tub we set up still needs more rain water to fill it before it will be ready to transplant the plants into it. Getting rain today, so maybe that will be enough. Otherwise will have to dip into the distilled water supply we have.

The flytrap has been inside for a few months, and really needs to be outside in the sunlight. Got them all just sitting on the porch right now to acclimate them to stronger light before putting them into direct FULL sun.

I sure do hope that they find mosquitoes to be tasty.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #27
Gordon c. Snelling
Looking good, the Sarracenia is either S. leucophylla or a hybrid with that species in it. There is never a reason to cut off flowers in my experience. If a flytrap or most others die after flowering there was another problem to begin with and the plant was not long for the world. Back when I was actively growing CPs, I always allowed all my plants to flower when it was the season. I grew mine outdoors in trays of water in southern California.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #28
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon c. Snelling View Post
Looking good, the Sarracenia is either S. leucophylla or a hybrid with that species in it. There is never a reason to cut off flowers in my experience. If a flytrap or most others die after flowering there was another problem to begin with and the plant was not long for the world. Back when I was actively growing CPs, I always allowed all my plants to flower when it was the season. I grew mine outdoors in trays of water in southern California.
Yes, it is labelled (Tarnok), so I believe that means "Sarracenia leucophylla 'Tarnok'".

I'm trying them outside in a tub with medium set into the ground to see how that works out. Nearly all the pics I have seen tend to show them living in very moist (actually WET) areas, so I've got the medium (peat moss and perlite) relatively wet. There are drain holes in the sides of the tubs to keep the medium from getting completely flooded.

I considered the technique of trays of water with pots sitting in them, but I think I would have a SERIOUS problem with mosquitoes that way. The skeeters are already quite a problem, but having areas of standing water available to them to readily breed in might not be a real good idea around here.

As for the flowers, most people say that you should cut the flowers if you want the plant to put more of it's resources into leaf production instead of seed production. But so far I haven't really found accounts of the plants dying after setting seed.

Ah well, just something to play around with. They will either live and thrive, or not.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #29
Gordon c. Snelling
The Id on your plant makes sense, That species in general is one of my favorite of the genus although I have never had that particular clone. Considering where you live your technique should work well. Mosquitoes are a very real issue with water trays but I solved the problem by just letting my trays go dry every other day or so. As long as the soil remained wet the drying trays caused no problem. I finally did have to go with an RO unit to keep up with my water needs though.
The only Cps that die after setting seed are a few of the annual Drosera and Genlisea, as mentioned before generally if the plant is in good health they will do fine. Left to their own devices though you may not get seed anyway due to the need for cross pollination or the design of the flowers which prevent selfing, Sarracenia for example will not self with out help. The Drosera on the other hand will potentially go crazy.
The California bog mentioned earlier was the Albion bog owned by the Nature Conservancy. It had quite a population of non native species which have in theory now all been removed.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #30
LauraB
Very nice, Rich! S. leucophylla & hybrids thereof have always been some of my favorites, too. The photo I posted previously (with the Aug. flower) is a leucophylla hybrid.

I agree with allowing the trays to dry out for a day or so, as well. That has always worked fine for me with no mosquito problems resulting.

Careful, carnivorous plants, like herps, are addicting!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!