Jason Thurber of www.jasonthurber.com be aware of him - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
ForkedTung
I don't know much about alligators, but I personally wouldn't take delivery on a snake and then put it up for "touch and tell" less than two days later, IMHO.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #12
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkedTongue
I don't know much about alligators, but I personally wouldn't take delivery on a snake and then put it up for "touch and tell" less than two days later, IMHO.
I'm with you; I guess a "Class A USDA license" doesn't have any requirements regarding quarantine of new animals, but common sense would dictate that you at least let the animal settle in and observe their health and general well being after being shipped across country before subjecting them to more stress...

Old 06-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #13
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko_Den
I'm with you; I guess a "Class A USDA license" doesn't have any requirements regarding quarantine of new animals, but common sense would dictate that you at least let the animal settle in and observe their health and general well being after being shipped across country before subjecting them to more stress...
So...you have an exhibitor license (which is only needed if mammals are also being displayed - it is not required for reptiles). You need a DAP for the alligator (state not federal permit).
Also, inspections and reporting of ALL new/sold/traded animals are required.
Have you even notified them of the new arrivals and had your facility inspected?
Why such a rush?
Do the show with animals that have been proven to be able to handle the demonstrations. You will have NO idea after arriving 2 days prior of these gators are presentation animals or not.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
RaccoonRiverReptiles
The issue has been resolved between Jason Thurber and I. Jason Kirtley

Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #15
KJUN
Jason:

I find it ironic that you are upset that someone is now not answering your emails about a deal you initiated. Karma?

KJ

Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 AM   #16
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaccoonRiverReptiles
I I use these alligators to do educational shows for kids and small town midwest festivals to show the importance of reptiles in nature. Then I just resell them for what I paid plus shipping.
It seems like you are not really being true to the ideas you purport to put forth in your shows. Reptiles ARE important in nature. When one takes them into captivity, one owes them at least, the attempt to give them as best a situation as possible.

Here, you planned to get these little critters in, subject them to the stress of being put into in a show a couple days later, and then you say you turn around and resell them.
How is that, establishing their importance in nature?

Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #17
mvite
^Maybe questions like all of these are ones that the seller should have asked before entering into a business deal with the OP. I don't think there's any reason to bother the guy about it now---unless you ask the seller these same ethical questions.

Especially cuz the seller accepted the money without any problems.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #18
MikeCurtin
The seller is making a business deal. The buyer is trying to pull on the heart strings of the folks here with poor kid from dirt poor towns and the importance of reptiles in nature (which he will put on display without knowing if they're healthy after they just travel accross the country a day or two prior and then sell again).

Seriously, Jason K., don't they have a "rent-a-gator" or something near you? This does not look like you have the animals' best interests in mind.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!