Howmany Superworms per day do you guys suggest? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
LeopardGeckoMan
Howmany Superworms per day do you guys suggest?

Im thinking about trying to go with super worms instead of mealworms, 1) they seem like they will last longer if i buy 25 instead of buying 50 mealworms because my male eats 15 worms a night. and 2) from what i see on cody's website they wont turn into the stage before beetles when they are with eachother. So if you guys can tell me howmany i should feed them in one day i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thx for your replies.

Old 11-06-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
Blazin
Well

That just depends on your leopard gecko. I would say feed him as many as he will eat. One thing with Supers is they will escape from a feeding dish. If your male is an adult I would say he will eat anywhere from 3-6 at a sitting on average. Maybe more maybe less. As long as he has good weight to him and no lateral skin folds I wouldn't worry about an exact number. Another thing you might want to try is just raising your own mealworms. With one or two leopard geckos it would be very easy to be self sufficient and never have to order any. Oh one more thing regardless of what you intend on feeding make sure you gutload the mealies or the supers with high quality nutrients.

Old 11-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
progeckos
Another thing to keep in mind is not to over feed them with superworms. I’ve had some big adult males eat 5 supers and the next day I find that they were thrown up. I usually don’t give anymore than 3 to both sexes. It does vary with each individual but that’s a guideline I follow. The males tend to want more than females as well.

That’s correct. They won’t pupate unless they are in individual containers.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
LeopardGeckoMan
Well i am expiermenting breeding mealies, i dont know if i really want to breed them, i prefer just superworms. If they dont pupate i can just buy 500 online for only 14 bux and that will last for like 9 months - a year depending on howmany die, or i could just buy 12 cont (the minimum) and split with my friend.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:52 PM   #5
gothra
Just make sure your leo will eat super before you buy in bulk; some of my leos just never liked them. On the other hand, I have 2 females that love supers, they're getting 3 supers every 2nd day. Supers will fatten up geckos quickly too.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:08 PM   #6
LeopardGeckoMan
can they be fed as a staple, or are they too fat?

Old 11-06-2004, 09:11 PM   #7
Blazin
tip

A tip for getting leopards to eat supers is to mix in a couple of smaller ones in with the mealworms. Then gradually start offering lone Supers to them and they will eat them. It just sometimes takes a bit of effort.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:15 PM   #8
LeopardGeckoMan
but can they be fed as a staple or are they too fattening. But thanks for the tip.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:21 PM   #9
progeckos
Superworms are very healthy to feed and make great staples. Just make sure you gutload them prior to feeding like Chad said.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:23 PM   #10
Xelda
I've tried using supers as a staple, but it only lasted 4 or 5 months before all but one of my leos got sick of them. My babies don't fall for that trick where you mix the small supers with mealworms. They spit out the supers and only pick out the mealworms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!