Howmany Superworms per day do you guys suggest? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-07-2004, 02:04 AM   #11
LadyGecko
I have recently been wondering about the absoluteness of the fact that you have to put adult supers in an individual container to get them to turn to beetles.
I keep my adult beardies on sand and I am constantly finding the superworm beetles in the viv-when I scoop the sand to clean.
That's when my dragons don't beat me to them-LOL!!
I wonder if you could cultivate them in a big rubbermaid container with a deep sand bed?
It seems entirely possible to me and would eliminate the need for the individual containers.
Sandy

Old 11-07-2004, 02:09 AM   #12
Xelda
It's not keeping them in a small container that causes them to pupate; it's the isolation that does it. I had a few superworms escape once, and then I found them later after they had pupated into beetles. One was crawling on the wall, and the other was crawling on my arm while I slept!

Old 11-07-2004, 02:14 AM   #13
LeopardGeckoMan
i kinda like the fact that you can decide wether or not they will pupate, it makes it easier to breed them and to save some for feeding. But thats just my opinion.

heh, your lucky they were only in your room, if it was my house my sister would be screamin about them and my mom would make me get them and intarogate me about how it got out.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:15 AM   #14
LadyGecko
But isn't keeping them in the small container done to isolate them?
I am just suggesting that there might be an alternative way to raise them if they seem to pupate readily in the sand
Sandy

Old 11-07-2004, 02:17 AM   #15
LeopardGeckoMan
Well yes if you put them in a container than you are isolating them. If you put them in sand and say you have about 4 inches in it, it is most likly they will pupate because they might dig so deep they will be isolated from the others.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:26 AM   #16
Xelda
Tyler's right. If you still had too many of them swimming around in the susbtrate, then they won't pupate. Even with the amount of space it took, you would only be able to get a handful at most to pupate. It's more practical to keep them in the small containers.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:41 AM   #17
LadyGecko
I think just for the heck of it that I will take a container or an aquarium with 4 or 5 inches deep of sand and put say about 25 supers into it and see how many of them pupate.
Yeah- I lead a dull life-LOL!!
Sandy

Old 11-07-2004, 02:47 AM   #18
Xelda
Sandy - I say go for it, and be sure to share your results with us. I do have one suggestion though, which is to use damp peat moss instead of sand. It won't be as heavy, and the moisture will be good for them.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:57 AM   #19
LeopardGeckoMan
Heres my hypothesis, if you use a 10 gallon long and fill it 4 inches i am betting 15 will pupate because there is a bigger hypothesis. But my question for you is: what size would the contanier be?

Old 11-07-2004, 03:27 AM   #20
LadyGecko
Ok- I will take one ten gallon aquarium and use peat moss and another 10 gal and use the sand and put 25 supers in each and see what happens?
Who knows- if I get lucky we might be able to do away with the film containers??
Ya know- it's scary what I sit here and think about at 2 am-LOL!!
Sandy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!