New Gecko Website - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-08-2004, 08:47 PM   #11
riverjop
Oh and Dan ya gotta set up your www at the bottom with your sig so you can click it! Just ask "cable brat" he's got it figured out!

Old 11-08-2004, 08:56 PM   #12
progeckos
Quote:
Oh and Dan ya gotta set up your www at the bottom with your sig so you can click it! Just ask "cable brat" he's got it figured out!
At least I’ll be able to view the page.

You’re a riot Overton…

Old 11-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #13
Mark and Aimee
OK, I'm going to be honest. Probably a LOT more honest than you want me to be.

If I had gone to your web site in search of geckos to purchase, I would never have even gone past the first page. The falling leaves and mouse gimmick are enough to drive me crazy.

The "home" button on your home page... What purpose does it serve? It leads me to believe I am not actually home, and if I click that button enough times, I'll eventually get there.

Below that, you have what apears to be three pages: "Welcome", "About me and my", and "Projects" (in reality, it is only two pages). But are these significantly different enough to warrant separate pages? It seems the info is redundant.

It might be a good idea to run a spelling and grammar check as well.................................... If you know what I mean. While proper spelling grammar is not the ultimate decision making factor when I am browsing a web site, it certainly plays a role. At first glance, I would assume your web site was built by a 13 year old with AOL. And that would rule out any possibility of a purchase.

Don't be afraid to GET TO THE POINT! Tell people what you would want to know, if you were the one visiting the page.

Here's a few links to help you get through some of the common problems:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605a.html

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/

Most of Jakob Nielson's advice is very good. Definitely should be required reading for anyone wanting to build a web site.

(Like I said, probably a lot more honest than you wanted. I apologize. I'm not trying to be rude. Just honest!)

Mark

Old 11-08-2004, 10:27 PM   #14
groovygeckos
no thats perfectly allright didnt sound THAT rude ! except the very insulting 13 year old remark ! appology accepted , but that part just sounds like it was meant to be insulting!.......... home page... What purpose does it serve? It leads me it is >>>> the first page of the website , there is no way to change the title of that page !................"Welcome", "About me and my", and "Projects" (in reality, it is only two pages). But are these significantly different enough to warrant separate pages? >>>>yes in reality it is 2 pages "welcome is to say hello,about me and my projects " is 2 pages in one (very self explanatory) i suppose i could put all of those into 1 page (but in the menu it might look like 3 pages no matter what ) only other idea i have for that is to put them all together and just that page "info" its a free web-page you only get 7 pages i think ! QUOTE >apears < TYPE-O ? hmmmm ? i will not use a spell-check , since i actually know how to spell the english language very well , just let something slip by i guess ! i do not know what you mean! , wouldnt you bring to my attention what is mis-spelled ? i dont think that freewebs even has a spell-check (alot of their features do not even work correctly as it is ) Thanx for the help , stay honest , no problem with that , im VERY honest (too honest most ofthe time as well)

Old 11-08-2004, 11:49 PM   #15
llechler
I would have to agree with a couple points that were made. I did not particually like the leaves or the clock, it kind of distracted me from the content of your site. I thought the layout and colors were cool. In the nav bar though, I would suggest putting spaces between the seperate links so it is more distinct and there is no confusion.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:01 AM   #16
groovygeckos
right! i do agree

the nav buttons suck (for lack of a better word) there is no way to control the spacing , no way i can put those two page names on one button w/out it looking like three , decided to combine both "welcome" and " about me and my projects" (one title) and poss. re-name to "info" ! when i mark my pictures and figure out how to make them smaller (for dial-upers ) , i can use the "home" page as my welcome page , that is how i had it set up the first time , before i put the huge picture on the front and use the silly leaves on lol ! unfortunately (i think) it will still appear in the nav. bar named "home" , i did not build this site (as you put it) just "filled in the blanks" but thank you all , for the help and kind words

Old 11-09-2004, 11:33 AM   #17
riverjop
Hey Dan, I checked out that freeweb site and started messing around with a "mock" web site and It does seem confusing and hard to navigate....but then again Im a computer illiterate fool! Keep trying, Mark had some good thoughts and the "top ten mistake web design" site is interesting! be sure to check it out!

Old 11-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #18
groovygeckos
made a few changes

and put my pictures back up ! thanx everyone ! im really missing if something is mis-spelled ! didnt notice ! anyone ?

Old 11-09-2004, 08:28 PM   #19
LeopardGeckoMan
Well first off, its a pretty nice site. The falling leaves, and the mouse get in the way though. And im pretty sure that thing you did was illegal. Making that false thing of the copyright. if it was real it would say: Copyright ©2004 groovy geckos - all rights reserved. depending on where you got it copyrighted, most will look like that, but everyone that actually knows about copyrights would notice that is fake. I wouldnt say it looks like a 13 year old with AOL made it though. With that said, the rest is pretty nice.

Old 11-10-2004, 10:45 AM   #20
groovygeckos
Thanx

yeai i finally got over the spinning clock and leaves lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!