Gecko changing colors for no reason at all??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-13-2004, 12:03 AM   #1
LeopardGeckoMan
Gecko changing colors for no reason at all???

Im wondering if any of you have expierenced this. Im not exactly sure what my gecko is, sometimes he is very dark and other times he is blizzard like but not as white/pinkish. He has no pink to him at anytime. But the weird thing is that everything is exactally the same with his cage as it is with my other leo. I've been keeping my female leo for a year and she is doing very good. Even my mom (who is not into geckos and is afraid of them) admires her and says her color has improved dramatically since i got her).

Back to the topic... I was looking at the gecko and he was a lighter brown, i come back a half an hour later and he has turned dark brown, he didnt move or anything, nothing at all changed. Then i come back a half an hour later to feed him and he was back to the light brown, then when he was eating he turned dark brown again and switched back to a light brown after he was done.

Another time i was holding him he was a dark brown then after a while i could see he was turning lighter and i let him crawl around on my floor and hide under my shirts on the floor and he was in the middle of changing colors. He does this all the time.

Just because i know you guys will ask these questions ill provide the following:
Temp: cold: 73-75; hot: 88
3 hides: 1 humid, 1 half on cold half on warm, 1 cold.
Diet: mealworms and occasionally a waxy
Substrate: Tile (he did this on papertowels too)
Tank: 29 gallon (same as a 20 gal long. except higher)
heat source: UTH

I've had him for 1 month this saterday, everything appears normal, eating a lot, shedding on a normal schedual.

Again, anyone ever expierence such a thing like this???? I've never heard of this before.

Old 11-13-2004, 12:23 AM   #2
aliceinwl
If your talking about the patternless in your avator, the color changes you described are fairly typical. Blizzards also experience color changes like this. My patternless are typically brownish, but if I take them out they often lighten up dramatically. I've also noticed that they tend to be lighter during the breeding season and darker during the winter. They also seem to change color in response to substrate color, and sometimes they change color for no apparent reason.
-Alice

Old 11-13-2004, 12:52 AM   #3
LeopardGeckoMan
I dont think that my leo is a patternless. I have never seen one and i've seen a lot. Id classify it as a dark blizzard.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
raingeckoiv
it looks like a patty to me, maybe you could post a better pic.

Old 11-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #5
LeopardGeckoMan
Well as i said he changes color so here they are. I guess today he felt lighter.
Heres a pic i just took today:

Same gecko only changing colors:

A blizzard i got from blizzardlizard.com:

The patternless from knereptiles.com:

So i still think mine is a blizzard, dont u?

Old 11-13-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
aliceinwl
You've got a picture of a baby patternless, not an adult. They lose their patterns as adults. Here's a pic of an adult and baby.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #7
aliceinwl
Here's a pic of one of my paler patternless. She's feeling light in this picture, but she also goes dark just like yours. Did you purchase yours as a blizzard? Did you purchase it as a baby? Because, it still looks like a patternless to me. But, if you got it as a young baby, the pattern should have been visible so, if that's the case, you could be right. By baby, I mean very young as I've had some lose their patterns in less then 2 months.
-Alice
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
LeopardGeckoMan
Well i purchased him as a blizzard. Im not sure about how old he is, i'd say about 7 months when purchased. I guess i will see in 2 breeding seasons because im not going to attempt to ask my mom if i can get another one. She will let me breed and keep a baby though. But i guess in 2 years you guys will have forgotten about this subject.

Old 11-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
raingeckoiv
Alice, that's a nice big boy you have there.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:41 PM   #10
riverjop
Hey Tyler! Looks like a patternless to me!
Your leo will change color according to it's mood....think of it as a giant mood ring!
Ok....get it off you finger!...people are staring!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!