What do you think guys? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #1
ragnew
What do you think guys?

Hey folks,

Well, I've been thinking about it for quite sometime now, and I've decided that I'm going to be switching my Leopards back over to glass aquaria....

I kind of miss seeing my little guys tromping around like they naturally would, plus seeing the way that they interacted with one another was always interesting...

So here's the question I've got for you...

1. How many of the little guys would you recommend for a 30 gallon breeder (same dimensions as a 40 breeder but not as tall)? I use to keep 1:4 or 1:5 in tanks this size back when I was using them... Do you think that'd be okay? Or am I pushing it here?

2. The other size that I'm going to be using is the 20 longs. I was thinking about 1:2 in this size (maybe 1:3), and in these tanks I'll be keeping the breeders whose eggs I need to tell apart (BB double hets, and Super Hypo Het albinos). What do you think?

Well, as always, I appreciate it!

Thanks guys,

Rich

Old 11-14-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
LeopardGeckoMan
Id say 1:1 for the 20 gal and 1:3 or 1:4 on the 30 gal, but if you want to make even more room in the 30 gal breeder u can add another floor and you'd be able to keep 1:5.

Old 11-14-2004, 07:39 PM   #3
Vince
Hey I keep one leo in a 10 gal tank, they are only like 8 bucks each, and are stackable if you do it right. put one in each tank, plenty of room for hide boxs , water and anything else you want to put in, if your doing glass so you can put more then one together then I would say two, three at the most. I have four leos and four tanks

Old 11-14-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
WizardLizards
I have a 55 with 5 tang females in it. We keep a some cage furniture in it to provide them with some vertical room, with plenty of hides, both humid and standard. I have seen no examples of bullying, all are gaining weight, and they seem to be quite happy. I have a 40 gal breeder with 3 female trempers, who also have plenty of room, and I will be adding a male to them for breeding in a month or so. I think 3 in a 20 gal long may be the limit, but it may depend on the tempermant of the cage mates. You could always try 4 and see how it works out.

I agree, I have about 20 leos in racks, and I almost wish I didn't due to the fact that I can't really show them off. I am planning to build a caging system that will show them off, while stacking them up, and just use the racks for my breeders and hatchlings.

Tony

Old 11-14-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
Xelda
Richie, I wouldn't keep more than 3 leos in a 20L tank simply because of the limited hide space available. I know there's that general rule of providing at least one hide per leo, but what happens if all 4 leos want to squish under the humid hide at the same time? It happens. Having a larger humid hide would require a warm side covering nearly half the tank (in a 20L) if you want to provide warm dry hides as well. Or maybe I just haven't come up with a clever way to lay out the cage. :P

You may want to look into plastic caging rather than glass aquaria. They're lightweight and stackable, plus you get a different experience of keeping leos when you start keeping them in cages that open from the front. My skittish leos are eager to walk out onto my hand even though they never liked having me pick them up. Actually, they still don't like me picking them up but they'll climb onto my arm on their own accord. Their attention also stays focused on the one side that offers them a clear view of the outside world, so it's not unusual for me to wake up in the morning and see a friendly gecko face smiling at me.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:53 PM   #6
ragnew
Hiya folks,

Thanks for the info! I do appreciate it... Nice to know there's so many great people here on the forum! Plastic cages eh? Now that's something that I really need to look into (vision cages?).

In the 20 longs I'll go ahead and keep a maximum of 3 (male super hypo and two female tang albinos). It's been so long that I've had my little dudes in larger enclosures, I'm really looking forward to it...

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Old 11-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #7
Xelda
I don't recommend Vision cages because the plastic is textured so that the crickets can climb up the walls.

The BOI has a lot of useful ratings on different brands. For the record, I use Barrs cages (herpcages.com) and find them to be satisfactory, for my geckos anyway.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
Vince
those cages are nice, but kind of expencive.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:09 PM   #9
GeckoPalace
Check www.glasscages.com they got some cages for great prices and a wide variety.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #10
acpart
I also prefer my geckos in glass cages. I am using Twin Oaks (glasscages.com) stackable cages which open from the front. I also had them sell me some pieces of acrylic cut to size so I can divide the larger tank (12 1/2"x24"x8") into 2 or 3 sections for small babies. I am generally happy with them, although one of the tanks has a small gap where the door is and I have to put masking tape there every night so the small crickets don't get out.

Aliza

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!