Travelling Eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #1
Tribal Gecko
Question Travelling Eggs

OK, my closing date for the house I bought was delayed again. So, it is quite possible that I may have eggs by the time the date hits and I have to move out of my current place and into my new home. Any idea's how I can transposrt the eggs so they are not killed? I live in NY, and so it is sure to be pretty cold. Any idea's? The distance between the places is only about 5 min or so...but still.. Anyy idea's maybe?

Old 11-09-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
LeopardGeckoMan
If they have in an incubator i imagine it is good enough to keep the heat stable for 5 minutes. Cody said that his homemade incubator held a stable heat and only dropped 1 degree in a week of not having it plugged in. So if your incubator has good insulation you should be alright to travel five minutes.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:26 PM   #3
WizardLizards
Well.....
If you can afford to purchase a ac/dc converter to plug into the car's cigarette lighter, you can plug your incubator into that. We took an incubator with 3 eggs to Virginia from our home in Philly. The eggs hatched while we were in VA, so the ride didn't bother them.

Just a thought, I think they run about $30 bucks or so. My wife is athsmatic, so we need one for her nebulizer, so we had one anyway.

Good luck moving
Tony

Old 11-13-2004, 12:07 AM   #4
LadyGecko
If it is only a five miute drive then I would uplug the incubator right before you are ready to transport it and wrap it in a blanket for extra warmth and then just make sure that it doesn't get jostled around. on the brief ride to your new home.
Good Luck with your move and your new home

Sandy

Old 11-14-2004, 06:20 PM   #5
JohnnyGecko
I just transported around 20 eggs for 80miles in their incubator a couple months ago. Just make sure the cars heat is on and warmed up before putting them in. They should be fine. I did lose one egg though, but I think it was from the car ride itself not the temp that did it. Make sure the incubator is secured good and watch for big potholes in the road

Old 11-14-2004, 06:30 PM   #6
Tribal Gecko
OK, thanks a lot! Hopefully they will be fine if I do need to transport any.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:50 AM   #7
gurnham4
you can get heatpack too, that would keep it warm in there.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:40 AM   #8
progeckos
Quote:
Cody said that his homemade incubator held a stable heat and only dropped 1 degree in a week of not having it plugged in.
Well it’s not that well insulated. The power went out and it dropped 1 degree in less than an hour. It was my male incubator so it was pretty warm to being with.

Gurnham4 has a great idea using the heat packs. If the power is out for an extended period of time I’ll open a couple and pop them into the incubator. They won’t heat it like the power being on but they’ll maintain a good temp. All I need to do now is get the generator wired so it’ll run my room…

Old 11-18-2004, 02:22 AM   #9
gurnham4
last time I went to lowes they didn't sell the heatpacks, but I know amazon.com sells a few re-usable heatpacks (I can send you links if you want) which are only good for power outages if you have a gas stove (you can just boil the heat pack in water and it'll stay warm for a long time).

does anyone know of any stores that sell the heat packs (re-useable and one time use only). It's been awhile since I have needed to buy any and I want to get some this year

Old 11-18-2004, 11:27 AM   #10
progeckos
I get my heat packs from Superior Enterprise. You can only use them one time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!