Need help with small claims court evidence - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
anilaky
Need help with small claims court evidence

First, read this:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=622960

Second, I am going today to pick up my animals from the lady that killed my gecko. I intend to use this meeting to collect potential evidence/documentation in case I do not receive reimbursement for the items below:
A) $50 to cover boarding fee for half a month (the geckos were only with her two weeks so I think giving me half of my boarding fee for this month is fair)
B) $100 for the gecko that she killed

Here is my plan:
The lady offered to replace my gecko. I told her I wasn't ready for a new gecko yet. Today when I visit her I intend to have a video recording. I will start the video by taping where I am, the location, etc. I will then put my phone face down and record just audio.
She doesn't know I'm taking them today so I will start by asking my fiancé to take the empty gecko cage to the car. Then I will ask her "you remember how you offered to replace my gecko" to which she will say yes and then I will tell her how I am not ready for a new gecko at the moment but paying for the one I lost would be best, and tell her the dollar value of the gecko I lost ($100). I will explain to her that this is the least expensive option as getting a new gecko requires paying for shipping, usually about $50-$60 as well as the new gecko (probably in the $100-$150 range). Let's say for the sake of argument that she will agree to this.
Then I will tell her that I don't think the boarding is working out and that I am going to take my animals back into my possession. At this point I will have my fiancé start bringing the animals and their cages to the car. I will ask her if she can reimburse me for 2 weeks of boarding - since we agreed to $100 a month (I have written documentation of that) and she only had them for 2 weeks if I can have the $50 back for the other two weeks.
Don't know if she will agree to that or not. Again, let's say she does and she doesn't have the money at the moment. I will give her my address and ask her to send a cashiers check to my home address and if I don't get it within 1 month (July 14, 2017) that I will take her to small claims court.

I know that this is a lot of what-ifs. But what other documentation should I provide the court if it ends up going this route? I know this is a small sum of money but I am a college kid and every little bit of money is necessary.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Lucille
Kalina, if the lady is offering to buy you a new gecko, it sounds as if she regrets what happened even though she does not seem to be a very good critter sitter. Let's see how the evening goes, and what she agrees to do to compensate you for the gecko and pro rated boarding fee refund. Suing someone for $150 may not be worthwhile especially as her actions although not very responsible, did not seem intentional. Even you imply that you did not know that cats could get into this enclosure, perhaps she did not either
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilaky View Post
Of course, I don't want to risk another cat incident. Apparently cats know how to open Exo Terras.
On the other hand, a bailment should be returned in the condition it was delivered, but different jurisdictions have different standards of care.
If you don't leave with the cash, bring pen and paper and make a written dated memo of the agreement you and she come up with, specifying what is to be paid for the gecko and boarding refund, and have her sign it. Take it with you, copy it and mail her a copy.
Please update us with what happens.

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/sls/forms/...aims-Court.pdf

Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
anilaky
I decided not to bother with it and just get out of there. And of course I don't WANT to sue her but at the same time I didn't want to pay her $100 to kill my gecko and starve my frogs. $150 is just about all I have right now and I need that money, I know it's not a lot to sue over, but at the same time, that means it's not a lot of money to return to me, especially after the care methods weren't met. Offering to buy me a new gecko is nice, I don't need a new gecko. And buying a gecko would be the same to her as giving me that money back.

It didn't help that she thought they cost like $10, when I told her how much Tiki was she said she couldn't get one for me. She couldn't even do the $60 ones at petco. I decided not to bother. I lost $100 and my gecko. She should pay me back. But I know she isn't going to and I can't make her. It's an unfortunate situation and as much as I want my gecko back or part of the money that I lost I won't get it back.

My frogs are underweight and severely dehydrated, apparently she's an expert at killing animals (or nearly so). Good thing Pac mans are hardy.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
anilaky
I would have taken the offer for her to buy me a new gecko, but I don't have room for it and I don't want to inhimanely have her buy me a gecko and turn around and sell it to someone else to "get my money." That's inhumanely stressing an animal out. She should give me my money back so that I can get another gecko when I want to and when I am ready, or at least give me part of my boarding money back so that I can pay someone else to board them that doesn't lie about knowing how to take care of reptiles.
It's not that hard to close a cage door, not hard to mix Pangea, and it's not that hard to pour some damn water in the cage every day.
It's not that hard to give me the money she owes me.

^^^venting

Old 06-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #5
anilaky
Is there any way to delete this thread? Since I decided not to do anything about it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!