Copy right violation, law suit, blah blah - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-07-2003, 04:22 AM   #1
Corey Sawyer
Copy right violation, law suit, blah blah

In the past year i have had probably 7 people using pictues of mine to sell reptiles, without permission. What recourse do i have? Can I sue them in small claims court? All but one have been young kids, which I do not think I would sue, unless they really pissed me off.

I would apprecaite it if someone could explain the process to me.

Old 03-07-2003, 12:31 PM   #2
Pennebaker
I would call a lawyer and talk to them.
I have a friend who runs a pet sitting agency here in New Mexico. She just found a guy who put up a website last month and copy and pasted all of her html (even forgetting to delete her name out of the meta tags). He is not using her photos, but he's using all of her text--changed the color at least.
Unfortunately, he did go stick in "copyright 2000" (even though he just opened and put up his site last month)--so the lawyer told her that she cannot sue on copyright issues, but still can sue for damages. Also call the copyright office in DC.
Hope that helps.
Dana

Old 03-11-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
sputnik
COPYRIGHT

You do need proof you own the pics, having the actual negatives etc I beieve is proof. If you do a search under copyright protection, you should find a lot of info on the US government site.

Congress did make changes to copyright laws about a year ago or something like that... but don't quote me on that. I think one of the changes was that you don't need to have a copyright logo on a pic for it to be covered by copyright.

Best of luck!

Old 03-11-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
wtrepluva
what about digital pics

i take all of my pictures with a digital camera, how would i prove they are my pictures. i pu ta copyright on all of them, but is that enough, becuse if you dont have negatives...........

Old 03-13-2003, 07:46 PM   #5
Pennebaker
I just learned about a program that allows you to put insert code so that no one can right click on your images to copy them--if you try to right click a message comes up "sorry charlie" then something to the effect of not being allowed to access that menu.

Maybe someone who is more computer savvy can shed some light on this???

dana

Old 03-13-2003, 08:39 PM   #6
E2MacPets
I have that on my pages, its just javascript. It can be worked around easily though. And if someone is determined to get your picture they will.

Old 03-13-2003, 09:14 PM   #7
Ken Harbart
Of course, it won't deter anyone with a current (6) version of Internet Explorer, since there is no need to right-click to save an image.

It would still be useful, however, if you wanted to somewhat protect the actual text on your site.

Old 03-13-2003, 10:02 PM   #8
Pennebaker
Oh well, I guess that shows you how "behind the times" I am.

The copyright office in DC does say that as long as you put a copyright on your photos that it does count (you do not have to register it and get a certificate).

dana

Old 03-13-2003, 10:05 PM   #9
E2MacPets
Ken, there's also a script to disable the image sharing function of IE6

There are scripts to disable selecting text, to disable the ability to view the source, etc..

Of course you can always disable javascript.

And heck, if they want it so badly they can take a screencapture and go from there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!