Substrates, and thier relationship to "STINK" ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Droptine8
Question Substrates, and thier relationship to "STINK" ?

Have any of you guys or gals ever noticed a difference between substrates and how they smell after a snake has voided.What I am asking is,,does say, aspen do a better job than maybe cypress mulch,or what ever,in soaking up and cutting down on odors ?
I use cypress,,and that does nothing.When a snake goes,YOU know it
What are your choices, and why ?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
DAND
I use Aspen Sani-chips. It is very easy to spot clean as the chips are small and when the animals eliminates you just take then waste and the chips around it and replace with new chips.

As for the smell, Aspen does have a distinct smell and it does help in the covering of the smell of the waste to a degree.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
shrap
I am a Sani-Chips user myself. Love the stuff!!

There is nothing you are going to be able to use that will completely eliminate, or even heavily mask, the smell until you snag it and bag it and let the enclosure air out for a couple of minutes. Then the smell is pretty much gone.

I mean it is really no different than if you invited me over for dinner and I took a crap in the middle of your living room floor. Dont matter if it was hard wood floors, tile floors, thick shag carpeting, throw rug.... it is gonna smell until you snag it and bag it.

But I would leave the crap in place until the cops got there as evidence for why you had to shoot me.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
I am a Sani-Chips user myself. Love the stuff!!

There is nothing you are going to be able to use that will completely eliminate, or even heavily mask, the smell until you snag it and bag it and let the enclosure air out for a couple of minutes. Then the smell is pretty much gone.

I mean it is really no different than if you invited me over for dinner and I took a crap in the middle of your living room floor. Dont matter if it was hard wood floors, tile floors, thick shag carpeting, throw rug.... it is gonna smell until you snag it and bag it.

But I would leave the crap in place until the cops got there as evidence for why you had to shoot me.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Droptine8
interesting way to put schrap.....I think

Old 07-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptine8 View Post
interesting way to put schrap.....I think
I think you spelled that wrong. After his post shouldn't that be spelled more like shcrap?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
Droptine8

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!