Rubbermaid?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-05-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
Jessclarke
Rubbermaid??

Has anyone had any luck with using a very large Rubbermaid container to house a snake??? How do you maintain temp and humidity?? How would you incorporate a heating pad or if not a heating pad, what kind of heating element do you use?? Where is the ideal place to drill holes?? Sorry to be such a pest but I've read that these are better than an aquarium and that the snakes like them better?? Let me know your opinions. Thanks.

Jess

Old 10-05-2003, 06:44 PM   #2
NEWReptiles
I love the Rubbermaid bins, I have had the racks for sometime now and have had 0 problems.

I keep the humidity in the entire room around 60%-65%. I also have a clean 2/3 full water bowl in every bin at all times. I still use UTH's in all of my racks as well. I use bigger heat mats that I place in between 2 bins, each bin gets 1/2 of the mat. It has worked for me for awhile now.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
NEWReptiles
Another nice rack!
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2003, 10:48 PM   #4
Kristysmith
Sorry for bringing up this old thread but,

What are the dimensions for that rack and what are the sizes of rubbermaids you are useing for the adults? Have you noticed better results in a particular container? I am building a rack for my corns and some new bp's I will be adding to my collection as well. And what about flexwatt? Would that be an alright heat source as well? How many thermostats would you need to heat one rack?

Thanks,
Kristy

Old 12-08-2003, 11:35 PM   #5
NEWReptiles
Quote:
What are the dimensions for that rack
It is roughly 6'W x 16"D x 5' H

Quote:
what are the sizes of rubbermaids you are useing for the adults?
I use Wrap 'n Craft Rubbermaids that are approx. 34" x 16" x 6"

Quote:
Have you noticed better results in a particular container?
One thing I have noticed is that if you switch to a bigger bin when your Regius is still small, they may be reluctant to feed. I have had this happen a few times. If this does happen, I put them back into the smaller bin for a few more weeks and try again after they grow a bit more.

Quote:
And what about flexwatt?
A great number of breeders/keepers use flexwatt, I have not tried it due to being stuck on the overpriced UTH. I have yet to have ANY problems with the UTH so I stick with them.

Quote:
How many thermostats would you need to heat one rack?
I use 1 Ranco and 1 dimmer for each rack. The 12 large bins are all on 1 Ranco, and the 12-18 small bins are all on the same dimmer.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:30 AM   #6
Kristysmith
Thanks A lot!

Everything makes sence except the dimmer and ranco. If you have say three different strips of flexwatt or 3 different UTH's how would they all hook up to one dimmer and ranco?

Thats all that mixes me up other then that I'm good to go!

Kristy

Old 12-09-2003, 12:36 AM   #7
NEWReptiles
If you purchase a Ranco from either NERD or Freedom Breeder, they will come with a 6 outlet strip pre-wired.

I use 6 UTH for the 12 larger bins (Ranco w/6 outlets) and 6-9 UTH on the small bins (dimmer w/8,000,000 extension cords).

Old 12-09-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
Kristysmith
Thanks!

You've been a big help! Hopefully I can build this thing now!

Kristy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!