My African Grey Wont Speak - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
AllyV
Red face My African Grey Wont Speak

Hes 9 years old and doesnt speak often, can anyone help

Heres a pic of me everyone
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Cat_72
Ah, sorry, I can't be of much help with your Grey.......always wanted one but just hasn't been the right time. There are a couple of very knowledgeable bird folks here, I'm sure they can offer you some hints.

I had to say I love the pic though, lol....would love to visit Scotland one day as well.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
AllyV
thanks i think thats my best side.pity you dont know how to get my bird talking :eatpointe hopefully someone can help me

Old 02-19-2006, 04:25 AM   #4
Cat_72
I know Karen Hulvey is one of the very "bird-wise" folks on here....I don't recall seeing her post the last couple of times I've been surfing through here, but I'm betting she would have some words of advice if she sees your post.

If there's anyone else that is a "birdy" person on here, I don't mean to leave ya out, Karen is just the first that comes to mind!!

Do you speak to your grey often? I know my cockatiel has actually picked up a couple of words that he jabbers incessantly just from what I always say to him, lol....every time I walk by him, he either says "hello" or wolf-whistles at me, and he's starting to say, "kittykittykitty", hehehe.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
AllyV
I know a guy who sells cars , he has an african grey. His only whistles and it says hello to him.

He has grey hair an all

Old 02-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
ladyserpent7
you said hes 9 yrs old? how long have you had him?..maybe if you got him recently, then he might still be getting used to you..or if in his former life his owners didnt treat him well or talk to him as much that might be the problem too.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
StevanHogg
Ally you are going to need a lot of patience with the parrot, and you must not get stressed out over it

Old 02-20-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
DracosHuman
Talking Hi

I have a Congo African Grey, he is almost two years old. He talks a little and mimics sounds.

I am not sure as to how to get your bird to talk, I would suggest that you talk to him a lot, be repetative and such. Does your bird mimic the phone and other normal household sounds?

I have found that Draco will mimic what I say the most....his first words being "Hi Draco" and "hello baby!". His vocabulary is definitly limited at this point. I am also convinced that he 'practices' his words when no one is home so he can surprise us when a human is near!

Old 02-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
AllyV
My bird say Cmon the gers and whos the diddy.

But most of the time he mutters to himself and turns away from me as if he is in a huff with me

Old 02-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
Skunky
The key is repetition, repetition, repetition. Be as clear and concise with enunciation as possible..remember, they're mimicking the sound/syllables, not the words.

And as Stevan said, a whole lot of patience. Work on it, and it'll come to fruition!