Patience is a virtue... - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #71
AbsoluteApril
So here's an update - the one baby is still doing great.

My boa breeder friend came over to check out Vegas yesterday for me and palpatated and confirmed he believes there is one big slug stuck in there. He's dealt with this before and said it looked just like the other boa that had this happen (that one didn't make it). I have not fed her a second meal, I am too worried that she won't be able to pass the feces and it could go septic inside of her. She still passes urates fine, I've been soaking her once a week. Since myself and my buddy were messing with her and trying to push the slug out (no luck), she's been showing discomfort. I soaked her again last night but she's still holding her tail where the slug is in a strange manner and not moving it very well, so I made an appointment for the vet on Monday at 10:30. I'll post another update after the vet visit. Hopefully she'll hang on until then, it was the earliest I could get in. Thanks again for all the well-wishes!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #72
TheFragginDragon
Damn April.....I can't even imagine what you (and Vegas) are going thru, I hope everything turns out OK.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #73
Utta
Wow. Unlucky name for her (ill keep the joke at bay till she gets better) keep us updated!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #74
AbsoluteApril
well she got the name Vegas because I drove all the way out to Las Vegas to buy her and back then, I wasn't very imaginitive when it came to naming.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #75
Utta
Hehe. Its a good name. (specially when you "Hooker" her out. )

Old 07-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #76
crotalusadamanteus
Hope it all goes well when you see the vet April. Sorry to hear this news.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #77
Helenthereef
Also sorry to hear this April, I've been following this thread with baited breath. Hope the vet can do something for her, do keep us informed.

(Don't suppose the time honoured "bring on birth" activities of drinking gin and running up and down stairs is really a viable option for Vegas, but maybe it'd relax you some????)

Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #78
Abby
Wow April, I hope she pulls through for you! Sending good vibes your way

Old 08-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #79
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
(Don't suppose the time honoured "bring on birth" activities of drinking gin and running up and down stairs is really a viable option for Vegas, but maybe it'd relax you some????)
Ok, I'm ready for a big glass of gin and tonic! lol

Just got back from the vet. Xrays were taken, those were very interesting. It's sad because it's my snake but still very fascinating to see.

She has a slug stuck (as suspected). After my friend palpated her, she started holding her tail weird, I was afraid he broke a bone in there. The good news is she's holding her tail funny just because she's uncomfortable and NOT because of any broken bones, there are no broken bones. Now the bad news... all behind the stuck slug are babies, babies that are almost certainly all dead by now. One of them is even stretched over the stuck slug, it tried to pass but got stuck as well. UG! So.. looks like there were at least 7 other babies but because of this one large slug she wasn't able to pass any of them. There were some dark pockets on the xray which indicate gas buildup... either it's normal gas in her intestine or it's gas from the decomposing babies. It's sad to see those poor babies that didn't make it.

So... plan of treatment: I have anti-biotics to give her. My vet advised me to try to push the slug back UP her (instead of out) which if I can do it, will allow all the babies to come out, then hopefully she can then pass the slug. I also have to give her an enema, which I've never done before so if anyone has tips that would be greatly appreciated. The only other option is surgery which the vet advised would be lengthy and difficult and I already know I cannot afford that option. So.. I suspect she's got about a 20% chance if I'm able to palpitate the slug back up. I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best but I am prepared to have her euthanized if it comes down to it.

So that's the update. At least I have a plan of action and I feel so much better knowing what happened and what is going on inside of her. My vet is going to try to get me a digital copy of the xray which I'll be happy to share with you guys, it's very interesting to see.

Thanks again for the well wishes all, I'll post an update when I have one, good or bad.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #80
Utta
I'm sorry april I hope your able to push it back up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!