Midwest Reptile Show - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 04-10-2002, 03:11 PM   #1
Laura De Hart
My husband and I frequently set up at the Midwest Reptile Show in Indianapolis, IN, and I was curious how many people go to it, or have been to it, and what they think of it.  For those of you who have been there within the last few months: How many of you like the new table arrangement?  The old one?  How about the Kentucky Reptile Expo in Shelbyville.  I have never been there, can someone tell me more about there?  Thanks.

Old 04-11-2002, 03:58 AM   #2
CLG
I used to vend there aswell, i stopped going about a year and a half ago. The show started to die in my opinion, seemed to become a petting zoo. We stuck with it for awhile but then just gave up on it lol, last time i was there was about 4 months ago and it seemed to be just as i had remembered. I've never been to the kentucky show either, im in northern indiana so indy is far enough for me. Only show i fequent any more is the Berks Show in hamburg Pennsylvania, in my opion its a good show both for vendors and potential customers.

Corey Greene

Old 04-11-2002, 09:09 AM   #3
Laura De Hart
You make a good point about it becoming a petting zoo. spam_One of the MRS's rules is to keep all animals contained and in there enclosures at all times except when someone is looking to buy something. spam_I see dozens of people walk into the show with 6-8 foot snakes draped around their neck, or carrying around 3-4 foot iguanas and monitors, all in a room so crowded it is hard to look at the tables through all the people. spam_I see this as both dangerous for the people and especially the animals. spam_No matter how tame a snake is, all the noise, movement, smells, can make them nervous and strike in defense. spam_The last time I set up there, there was a bunch of teenagers standing in front of my table, and one of them had a 6-7 foot boa draped over his shoulder. spam_Now it was annoying enough that no one could look at what we had to sell because they were loitering directly in front of our table, but then I turned around to see the snake crawling into a tank of hamsters we had to sell!!! spam_I said "EXCUSE ME!" and they said "oh, sorry" and moved on. spam_The only problem with this is simple; the rules NEED to be enforced. spam_As far as it dying: spam_It really has it's ups and downs.  Each month is different, less/more vendors, less/more people, less/more compitition between vendors on products. spam_We've done really good at some shows, and barely paid for our tables at others. spam_I have come to three conclusions about the show: spam_1) About 75% of the people who come to the show, seem to come only to look at the reptiles (which isn't bad). spam_2)Most people who do buy things are either looking for feeders, or want a pet, such as a small frog, snake, or lizard. spam_3)Most people aren't out to buy anything major, such as a het for something, so most don't look to pay much for anything, and will try to talk you down. spam_Now this is my experience and my opinions, I'm open to everyone else's. spam_We usually sell a variety of things, but I know some people who sell just feeder rats, and bring around 500 to the show, have sold out before the show is over. spam_The same with vendors who sell inexpensive reptiles such as Tokay geckos, and baby CH balls. spam_Any other thoughts? spam_What are some of the best shows in the Mid-Eastern United States?

Old 04-14-2002, 09:33 AM   #4
Nick
I have only been to the show 3 of 4 times the 1st was the mid-west breeders expo and that one was the best by far. NO WC Animals. I also think unless your wanting to sell the animals you bring , dont bring them and have them in a box or something like that. I also think it should go to an all CB show. Last thing people shouldnt be able to take the animals out of the display and handle them that is how stuff gets spread arround like mites  and all kinds of stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-15-2002, 09:23 AM   #5
sschind
I really don't think an all CB show could survive on a monthly basis.  Not enough variety to keep buyers (or lookers) coming back.  I have only been to a few shows in the Milwaukee/Chicago area (and not the MRS) so I can't speak for that show.  Can anyone who has been to several shows on a consistant basis make any comparisons.  For example, how does the MRS compare with Lee Watson's in Schaumberg IL.  

There are a few new shows coming up that show Promise

Evan Stahl's show in Michigan should prove to be a big hit as should Kevin Hanley's show in New Berlin WI.

Steve Schindler
Tropical Oasis

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!