Air plant (Tillandsia)? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-17-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
Tazz10
Air plant (Tillandsia)?

I have finally decided to make fake rocks to turn my avid climber's tank into a cave. I had seen some time ago photos of a cave setup decorated with air plants. Seems like a great idea since they don't need earth to grow nor too much humidity... but I can't find that thread any more and I can't remember if there are some dangerous Tillandsias? Obviously I will avoid the ones that have sharps cuting ends but should I worry about poisoning or can I pick any that look pretty?

Old 01-17-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
geckogrl6
Im not sure if they are poisonous or not, but the main concern is really sprays and pestisides and what all. Make sure the ones you get are clean. I have had these in my tanks before, without any problems other than me forgetting to water them. Plants are really not in the Leo diet, so the chances of one taking a tase is pretty unlikely. Just do watch for the points.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
Tazz10
Thanks, I hadn't thought of pesticides and fertilizers. If I buy some I will check first with the nursery that the plants are "clean".

Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 AM   #4
montezuma
Go to Blackjungle.com.They have a big selection of non-toxic plants. Tillandsias are non-toxic, just make sure you mist them frequenty if you live in a dry environment.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:21 AM   #5
Tazz10
Thanks, I will try that website.
My mom has some Tillandsia in Corsica that she dips in water once every 1-2 week. The environment there is as dry as here so I guess I can do the same when I take everything out of the tank to clean once a week.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Golden Gate Geckos
air plants

Yes, 'air plants' make a lovely addition to a desert vivarium. Just remember to attach the plants to the driftwood/rocks with non-toxic aquarium sealant, and not any kind of glue.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
montezuma
Especially from a HOT GLUE GUN! The 1st time I picked some up the person I bought from told me to hot glue them to driftwood... not even a week later it was practically dead.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
Tazz10
Okay I will run away from hot glue guns (sounds dangerous anyway...) and other glues and use aquarium sealant.
Thanks for the tip.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!