why is my lavender super tiger so small for her age? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Stalfos
why is my lavender super tiger so small for her age?

shes about 3 feet and not very thick, i got her at the hamburg reptile show for 400$ shes eats great and i feed her every week but she hasn't grown much, shes 12 months old. here is a pic of her on my hand

Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Utta
shes a YEAR old and shes only 3 foot? feed her more often. she should be at least 3x's that size. even if it's a male, it should still grow as fast as a female.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Stalfos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
shes a YEAR old and shes only 3 foot? feed her more often. she should be at least 3x's that size. even if it's a male, it should still grow as fast as a female.
im feeding her twice a week now to help her out, should i do 2 smaller meals a week or 1 bigger one every week? she has plenty room to grow in her cage

Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalfos View Post
im feeding her twice a week now to help her out, should i do 2 smaller meals a week or 1 bigger one every week? she has plenty room to grow in her cage
Feed her a bigger one every week. Or two bigger ones every week. She'll have it completely digested in 3 days, if not sooner on a normal basis. What are you feeding her?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
reticguy76
She looks underfed for awhile, you can actually hurt them more internally if you start pounding them. Start off slow and then build up. Do you know the history of the snake and make sure there isnt any dwarf or superdwarf in the blood?? Health wise, until she is back on track, smaller meals more frequent is ideal until you think she is thickening up. Not sure how long you have had her or when this pic was taken, but this pic, she is underweight. Also, are you sure of age and sex. 100% by the breeder and papered?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
She looks underfed for awhile, you can actually hurt them more internally if you start pounding them. Start off slow and then build up. Do you know the history of the snake and make sure there isnt any dwarf or superdwarf in the blood?? Health wise, until she is back on track, smaller meals more frequent is ideal until you think she is thickening up. Not sure how long you have had her or when this pic was taken, but this pic, she is underweight. Also, are you sure of age and sex. 100% by the breeder and papered?
All my dwarfs/SD's have shot way past the mainland blooded retics I've had growth wise. (My SD's were 5ft in a year, dwarfs were 9ft in a year, mainland were 9-12ft, etc) So dwarf blood doesn't explain the smallness in my opinion.

Yes it looks under fed, but it also can just be a runt, and growing slower. If it's only getting fed a mouse and not say, a medium rat at that size, it would account for the small size, and it would not be safe to feed more frequently.

If it's getting a small/medium rat (or pig, or rabbit etc of equiv. size) a week, then I have no idea what could be wrong.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Utta
Feed bigger pray more frequently* Apologies for the misguidance.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
reticguy76
parasites could be a factor

Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Stalfos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
All my dwarfs/SD's have shot way past the mainland blooded retics I've had growth wise. (My SD's were 5ft in a year, dwarfs were 9ft in a year, mainland were 9-12ft, etc) So dwarf blood doesn't explain the smallness in my opinion.

Yes it looks under fed, but it also can just be a runt, and growing slower. If it's only getting fed a mouse and not say, a medium rat at that size, it would account for the small size, and it would not be safe to feed more frequently.

If it's getting a small/medium rat (or pig, or rabbit etc of equiv. size) a week, then I have no idea what could be wrong.
see im waiting for the hamburg show to come up this weekend and i plan on getting bigger food, im thinking a bag of small rats an medium rats and large to slowly work her way up, she isn't sick, she just hasn't had the right sized food but she is healthy just small. how long would you say i should feed her small once a week till she would be ready for medium then large?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Utta
Feed her 7-10 days on the smalls, until she can take a medium without her scales being separated and you're able to see skin. Then same feeding schedule until the large has the same effect and you can't see the skin under the stretched scales.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
retic