Golden Child adult size - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
viandy
Golden Child adult size

I'm interested in getting a Golden Child retic IF it would stay about the same size as a genetic stripe. One person told me they tend to stay small. Is that what other people have found? Males and females?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by viandy View Post
I'm interested in getting a Golden Child retic IF it would stay about the same size as a genetic stripe. One person told me they tend to stay small. Is that what other people have found? Males and females?
The original Golden Child is a dwarf, that is true. However, because it's such a popular morph that has been out crossed as much as it has, it's dwarf genes are pretty much non existent now.

If you want a smaller golden child, you should buy a dwarf that's at LEAST 50%. Otherwise you'll have no idea how big the previous parents were before the dwarf localities were bred into it. While this is also true with one that's 50% or more dwarf, at the point where it has that much dwarf, it's going to (likely) counteract with the (potential 16-18ft mother/14-16ft father etc) older genes.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
viandy
Understood. Several years ago I had a Jampea tiger (50%). When it went over 12' it was obvious that "dwarf" is a relative term.
Thank you, I do appreciate the response.

Andy

Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by viandy View Post
Understood. Several years ago I had a Jampea tiger (50%). When it went over 12' it was obvious that "dwarf" is a relative term.
Thank you, I do appreciate the response.

Andy
"dwarf" to me, is just a "guarantee" it wont get 20ft as a female. It depends on the locality of the dwarf, but Jamps are just as big as a mainland in some/most cases. Selayer isle is a different story. They actually do run smaller.

However, I know of a guy with a 100% pure kuiayadi (sp) SD female who is at the 14ft mark. So it's just the nature of the beast.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
viandy
Kayuadi I think is it. I got a pair of those from Winslow Murdoch's first CBB clutch. They hit about 12' for me. Not a large retic but still a lot of snake. I had Bali ones about the same size. I think it's between ten and twelve feet that the mass of the snake really changes. Dealing with 10' isn't too bad. A 12' isn't just 20% longer, the weight and strength seems to increase at least 50%. At least that's what it feels like to me.

Andy

Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
reticguy76
Dwarf is such a variable word and description. If I am not mistaken, the first gc was thought to be from selayer but was also sick and "beat up" some and was a male. I think it was thought that it could be stunted growth as well.
The true sd people will argue that the kayuadi is not pure. As said, dwarf is such a relative and variable term used in retics. I mean bob's original lav albino male was only like 8 or 9 feet and isnt much bigger years later. Is it a dwarf or just a horribly stunted animal that had a really hard time acclimating to captive life. I dont believe his original supersun male is much bigger as well. I had a wc calico female that was about 7 feet. I had her for a couple years and she fed on xxxxl rats and xxxl guinea pigs every 5-7 days, and when I let her go (actually traded her because she was a huge biatch), she was barely under 8 feet. I think there is a distinct difference between sd's and all other, but I think there is very little or very subtle differences from "dwarf" and "mainlands"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
goldenchild, retic, reticulated