blood python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
bronxdevine
blood python

Hello I have 4 bp I am looking for a bigger animal is a blood a good choice how's there temperaments can they become docile

Old 04-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
thesarge2014
Bloods can have a wide range of temperments and each one is an individual. Some can be very tame while others will not settle down. They are very different than ball pythons and I do not recommend a blood if BPs are all you have worked with. I have kept black bloods/short tail pythons, Borneos, and red bloods. Ranked in that order for being calm. The black bloods do get the largest.

When someone asks a question like your, I always recommend a male Colombian boa. They are just wonderful and rewarding snakes to work with and with proper handling usually are very calm and docile. Bill

Old 04-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesarge2014 View Post
Bloods can have a wide range of temperments and each one is an individual. Some can be very tame while others will not settle down. They are very different than ball pythons and I do not recommend a blood if BPs are all you have worked with.
I agree with the quoted portion (that isn't to say that I disagree with the rest of the post; I just think the above is the most important). In addition to temperament, there are enough differences in husbandry requirements to make jumping into bloods worth taking time to think about. They aren't necessarily difficult; but they are far less forgiving of mistakes, or even lapses, in husbandry.
I won't dwell on the fact that these boas and pythons are illegal to keep in NYC - I'm sure you already know that - it's been said, now we can move on. Wanting a larger snake is all well and good - you should give serious consideration to what size range you actually want to have. There is a substantial difference between a 5 ft blood and, say, a 5 ft jungle carpet. As far as the male boa idea - it isn't wholly unreasonable...but there's also no guarantee that you won't end up with large snake. Guided by current knowledge and popular practice, male boas commonly run in the 5-5.5 ft range as adults...but let's be honest - that is a byproduct of controlled feedings. I've seen plenty of males in the 7-9 foot range that were not obese, and they were not doomed to premature death simply by virtue of their size. The move toward slower growth (after the feed'em to breed'em practices were found to be detrimental) seems to have bonded with a desire to keep them small to allow keeping more males in a confined space footprint.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
bronxdevine
Thank you for the info leaning towards Dumerils or hog island boas

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!