TX Senate OKs "Reptile Bill" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
EricWI
TX Senate OKs "Reptile Bill"

The Senate passed the "reptile bill" today, which creates regulations for hunters who want to collect snakes and toads along Texas highways.

Lawmakers unexpectedly outlawed collecting reptiles and amphibians along roadsides years ago, said Sen. Carlos Uresti, D-San Antonio, sponsor of the bill. Since then, hotels and rural communities in his district have reported losing millions in tourism dollars, he said. “We don’t want to kill the snakes and the horny toads along the roadway, but we want to allow those individuals who love to hunt these reptiles and amphibians … to do that along the roadside.”

The bill requires hunters to purchase a stamp from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to legally collect snakes and toads along the highway. Registered hunters could only collect the animals by nonlethal means, and would be required to wear reflective clothing while walking on the side of a highway. Uresti added an amendment that forbids collectors from using "an artificial light" to spot snakes and toads.

Sen. Joan Huffman, R-Southside Place, voiced concern: “Are you saying now for the entire state of Texas that if a person wants to ... put a snake in a bag or a frog in a bag that they need to be licensed and regulated?”

Uresti answered yes, because without regulation the practice is illegal: “Right now, it’s illegal for anyone to walk along the highway and capture a snake or capture a horny toad.”

Uresti also reassured Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa, D-McAllen, who worried whether Texans would still be able to kill snakes in their backyards. “The specific point on this bill is along the highway,” he said.

After a few lighthearted jokes, the bill passed the Senate 25-6 and now moves back to the House for approval of an amendment added by Uresti.
http://www.texastribune.org/texas-le...-reptile-bill/

Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Outcast
I am glad to see this happen. It is a good day for herpers everywhere. Now, how much is an out of state hunting stamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWI View Post
Uresti also reassured Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa, D-McAllen, who worried whether Texans would still be able to kill snakes in their backyards. “The specific point on this bill is along the highway,” he said.
Now we just need to start worrying about educating those people who's rights Sen. Juan Hinojosa was worried about. If they would call Animal Control or a local snake removal team, instead of killing the snakes, things would be better.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Mikkwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I am glad to see this happen. It is a good day for herpers everywhere. Now, how much is an out of state hunting stamp?

Now we just need to start worrying about educating those people who's rights Sen. Juan Hinojosa was worried about. If they would call Animal Control or a local snake removal team, instead of killing the snakes, things would be better.
I only wished it were that easy...to educate the general public about killing snakes just because they exist. I live in Texas and a great majority of the people who know I keep snakes still maintain the time worn cliche, "The only good snake is a dead snake!" I reply to them with, "What if the snakes had the upper hand on them & felt the same way about people?!"

Where I work it is close to a creek & our buildings have cement floors, so in the hot Texas summers many rattlesnakes & bull snakes come in & around to escape the heat. They always end up dead due to the fear my coworkers have imbedded into their genetic makeup. Wished I had the answer to how to change their attitudes toward innocent snakes.

I wonder why the government can't put laws into effect that make it illegal to kill snakes, other than endangered species, for no reason!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Metachrosis
Why dont they just come out and say its not the resident Texans
they are worried about?
Its folks living north of the Red River that are hauling out the critters

Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkwa View Post
I only wished it were that easy...to educate the general public about killing snakes just because they exist. I live in Texas and a great majority of the people who know I keep snakes still maintain the time worn cliche, "The only good snake is a dead snake!" I reply to them with, "What if the snakes had the upper hand on them & felt the same way about people?!"

Where I work it is close to a creek & our buildings have cement floors, so in the hot Texas summers many rattlesnakes & bull snakes come in & around to escape the heat. They always end up dead due to the fear my coworkers have imbedded into their genetic makeup. Wished I had the answer to how to change their attitudes toward innocent snakes.

I wonder why the government can't put laws into effect that make it illegal to kill snakes, other than endangered species, for no reason!
Oh, I know, I grew up in Louisiana and most of my family live by that same cliche. I even went to one of my uncles house and caught the "cottonmouth" which was actually a regular water snake. And tried to teach them the difference between the two. It did no good. He still wanted me to put it on the ground so he could shoot it... I ended up taking it up to the creek that is not on his property to let it go...

Old 06-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
rockingv@dctexas.net
I recently listened to a Ted Nugent interview where he said he just killed a dozen or so 'cottonmouths' on his property near Waco, Texas. All my neighbors swear that they see cottonmouths regularly in their stock ponds - however, every so called 'cottonmouth' has turned out to be a watersnake. I dislike rural folk.....but am happy about road cruising. Does this mean I can't walk with a flashlight???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!