Bad Guy Feenix Reptiles - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #11
BlueCrowned
I made my comments out of ignorance regarding mites but after speaking with other knowledgeable reptile people I have a better idea of what Likely happened. She did not get these mites at the show.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
Feenix Reptiles LLC
You came by our table both days openly carrying her. So you think the snake somehow hid the mites, from everyone at the show that reviewed her, boa experts included, and suddenly had them? If you noticed them the first night or your friend had concerns, since you were at the show the next day stopping by our table numerous times, did you not mention it then??

Old 04-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #13
Feenix Reptiles LLC
Well you didn't get them here

Old 04-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #14
BlueCrowned
I meant the first night when I got her home. So Sunday evening. And I did NOT have her the second day. She was in the car while I picked up a few supplies I had missed. You are way over exaggerating my carelessness at the show.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #15
Feenix Reptiles LLC
Name:  IMG_0831.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  102.9 KB

She's out of focus, but pic taken at show had 0 mites

Old 04-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #16
BlueCrowned
It would be impossible to tell in a pic like that between the angle, poor lighting and photo quality.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #17
Andy_G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
It would be impossible to tell in a pic like that between the angle, poor lighting and photo quality.
Sorry you had mites, but the above isn't true. Black specks show up really well on an albino snake, even if lighting isn't great...it doesn't really seem like there's anything concrete about where these mites originated from...

Old 04-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #18
Lucille
Quote:
She was in the car while I picked up a few supplies I had missed.
Oregon is still pretty cold. To me it isn't a good idea to leave a snake in a car while you go shopping.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #19
dieselfan
Quote:
Um.. I'm not really sure what you mean? I'm brand new to reptiles and I've had my first snake for two or three months. I didn't know what to look for in the first place because I'm new. Not coming back, literally new.
Sorry, i mis read your original post. Not that that changes anything. After seeing pictures of Feenix Reptiles snakes on his FB page, I highly doubt the mites came from him. All of his animals look well maintained, and mite free from the pics I saw. More than likely you handling other snakes with mites at the show is where you got them.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #20
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
Sorry you had mites, but the above isn't true. Black specks show up really well on an albino snake, even if lighting isn't great...it doesn't really seem like there's anything concrete about where these mites originated from...
Adult mites are quite visible but the protonymphs are barely bigger than eggs, are orange/red color, and stay under the scales for several days while they take a blood meal. They are not easily seen even on albino snakes due to their size, they can blend in with the pinkish patterning, and they're hard to remove or kill with products like Reptile Spray because they stay deep under the scales.

Also if the OP had picked up a random female mite hitchhiker at one of the other tables at the expo, which is always a risk even if you don't bring home a new critter, then a full-blown infestation wouldn't show up for 6-8 weeks. Since this snake was soaking and adult mites were found a day later it's more likely they were present when the snake was purchased.

OP I'm sorry you're going through this but dealing with mites is unfortunately something that every new keeper learns about the hard way. It seems to be a rite of passage in the hobby.

I would also suggest taking someone experienced with you if you attend another expo.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!