Is it ok? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-25-2003, 01:05 PM   #1
HerpLover74
Is it ok?

Hi!
I have a male BD that is about 2 years old and I would like to get him some company. I know that I have to get a female that is about his age and somewhat the same size. My question is, would it be ok to bring in another BD at this late in the stage with him?
Thanks!!
Danielle

Old 08-25-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
jenn_jeffery
If you put a male and a female together, you will have to deal with the female laying eggs, and having to baby her a bit during her recovery. If you don't want to deal with eggs, don't put them in together, and if you haven't researched breeding heavily, don't put them in together, as some females can become eggbound, which if not caught in time, will kill them.

Also, leaving the male and female together year round isn't recommended since the male will pester the female to breed, which is very stressful on her, and of course, stress is bad.

If you are interested in breeding them, and want some info on breeding them, post again, and I'll dig up some links on the subject....

Old 08-25-2003, 03:10 PM   #3
HerpLover74
Hmmmm Well, I have been reading up on breeding and it really isn't what I want... LOL
Now, my question is, he seems bored... though I take him out often.... can they live alone without any problems?

Thanks!!
Danielle

P.S.
Thank you very much for your reply!

Old 08-25-2003, 04:02 PM   #4
jenn_jeffery
Be sure he has a big enough cage--and remember as they get older, they get lazier--and double check your temps. And technically, dragons are soliatry animals. They live alone in the wild, it's us humans that decide they need companionship. Your dragon will be just fine on his own, you can rearrange his cage a bit, not too much or it may stress him, to see if that gets him a bit more active...

Old 08-26-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
HerpLover74
Thank you so much for your input!! I will try changing some things a bit in his tank and see if that does it!

Thanks again!!!
Danielle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!