Info Hilton at Daytona Beach - check your bill - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
WJS Herps
Hilton at Daytona Beach - check your bill

Hi all -

I wanted to post this here as it coincided with the Breeder's expo in August. I was charged an additional $151 for a phantom "no-show." While reviewing my credit card bill I noticed it and called them. I was advised that it would be credited back - if so, no problem - but I haven't seen anything yet and I will need to dispute tomorrow if I don't see anything.

I told a friend of mine who set up at the Expo too and he told me his room was charged for someone else's drink bill of approx. 50 bucks. I haven't asked anyone else if they have had issues, but I wanted to post this so others could check it they hadn't all ready.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
KNOBTAIL
Thats one of the dangers

in having them authorize the card in advance, set the monies aside and add additional fee's .. Its something that should be stopped and its long overdue... Whenever credit comes up and Congress tries to reign in on some of these abuses, you never hear of the hotel industry being involved or the airline industry because they have such powerful lobbies that they can get away with these charges. The credit card companies are reluctant to start up with them..

A very similar situation occurred with my sister in law, but she received additional charges after she left Mexico and it also was from the hotel... That amounted to $ 5,000 which the hotel tried to attach to her card... The banks once they get the money are not obligated to participate in US arrangements with credit card agreements and never returned the money....

Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
bluerosy
WHenever I go to mexico or even the Daytona expo at the Hilton I pay cash when checking out. Then i have a finalized bill in my hand.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
lanceheads
Me too. I tell them to hold my card # and pay cash when I check out.

Randal Berry

Old 09-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Lynn
I pay cash too credit card fees are way to high. I hope everyone gets their money back... That sucks...

Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
WJS Herps
Well, just when I was beginning to wonder they did make good. The money was charged back today. The only reason I even use my card is convenience as I pay it off month to month. I'm glad we hung on to our receipt! Next year I'm staying at a different hotel anyway. I'm tired of the rate hikes, extra charges for parking and off and on service. This was the icing on the cake. I'll stay at a close hotel next year with free parking and enjoy the exercise.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
lanceheads
William, If it were I, I would drive back home everyday after the show. What is it, a 2 hr ride? That would really save money! Compared to staying in the Hilton!

Randal

Old 09-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
WJS Herps
Hi Randal -

More like a 3 to 3 1/2 ride for us. Besides, we set up there and it is like a mini vacation for the wife and I with my mom watching our daughter...

I enjoy the experience of being there, it's just the hotel that has worn thin with me...

Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
lanceheads
I understand! Plus it's good to hang out with folk's anyway after the show.
I used to live in Lake Panasoffkee and have been to Brooksville many times, didn't realize it was a 3 + ride.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #10
KNOBTAIL
Paying in cash,

would certainly limit ones ability to add charges to a credit card, but usually even if cash is the preferred method in a final payment, a card is required to hold the room and possibly may be mandatory when first arriving... Its not so easy to control the monetary system without plastic and that for sure may include renting an auto, eating food, etc..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!