Sitting tight in Fiji as Cyclone Gita bears down on us - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
Helenthereef
Sitting tight in Fiji as Cyclone Gita bears down on us

The first real cyclone of the season is heading our way, and once again it's doing weird things things, circling on itself and coming back to us when it should be safely passed. (Same thing that Cyclone Winston did, the one that smashed up parts of the country 2 years ago).

Cyclone Gita came over us from the north west, building from a category 1 - 2, passed us and got to Samoa over the weekend as a cat 3. Samoa was badly flooded, no detailed reports yet. Normal expectations would then have had the storm continue down south and east (cyclones spin the opposite way to hurricanes due to southern hemisphere stuff), and head to New Zealand, running out of power on the way as it cooled down.

However, that's not what's happening - it is now turning back west again. Tonight it will be over Tonga, which is now in a preparatory state of emergency - lots of very small, flat, low lying islands going to have a terrible time of it tonight. After that, tomorrow or Wednesday will be heading back to Fiji, this time hopefully staying south of us.

However it has now built to a cat 5, so even if we're not in the direct path, we're going to get rain, wind and rough seas. I live in the capital city, Suva, labelled just above the top left edge of the leading orange circle on the map below. We are not in a bad position, Suva city being built in a deep harbour with lots of hills and good drainage. We are up on a hill, not directly on the water, we have recently trimmed trees around the house, and our water tanks and generator fuel are all filled up in readiness, but we're not exactly waterproof, so tonight we will be raising things off the floor and plastic wrapping others.

We should be fine, if inconvenienced, although we do have a small fibreglass boat I'd prefer not to see sink (again... ). I'm more concerned about my friends in small villages on the outer islands which got slammed last time (see Taveuni on the map below).

Gonna be a fun Valentine's day....
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
Lucille
My thoughts and prayers are with you and with your friends and everyone in the path of this cyclone, that they and their families come through it safely.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Thanks Lucille.

At this time is it not expected to make landfall but as with Winston in 2016 it is changing hourly, so we just have to hope.

Here are some examples of what Category 5 Winston did to village houses made of roofing iron and plywood...
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
bcr229
Fingers crossed that it goes further south over the next few days!

Old 02-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
Helenthereef
On the other hand, people in these kinds of places are incredibly resilient - not being reliant on central running water and electricity, you can put up a new tin roof house quickly and start gathering food from the wild.

These are two of my friends on Taveuni island after Winston - her house was totally flattened, but this shack made of donated roofing iron was enough shelter for quite a while, and he is showing a bowl of watercress picked from the forest 2 weeks after the cyclone (note there is still no roof on his house).
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Fingers crossed that it goes further south over the next few days!
Thanks - we are all going to sit on the seafront and blow as hard as we can....

Old 02-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
WebSlave
Hope you make out OK. Seems like paradise sometimes can have just the worst days ever.........

Old 02-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Hope you make out OK. Seems like paradise sometimes can have just the worst days ever.........

Thanks Rich, at least we don't have to worry abut heating... worst of it is if the power goes out and we have no fans.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 AM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Thanks Rich, at least we don't have to worry abut heating... worst of it is if the power goes out and we have no fans.
Yeah, I learned that lesson during one of our hurricanes when the power was out for about four days. It was murder during those hot nights without any air flow. Couldn't open the windows because it would have just allowed humid air inside, which would have made things feel much worse. So I went and bought a couple of battery powered fans for the next time. Runs off of "D" batteries and supposed to run for 40 hours or so on a set of 6.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/O2COOL-10...e-Fan/49332866

Old 02-12-2018, 12:51 AM   #10
Helenthereef
The fan looks great - wish we had a Walmart....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!