ID Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-05-2006, 05:32 AM   #1
John217
ID Help

Some years ago I was living abroad in The Philippines, one day I happened to go out into the garden looking up at the trees and heard a hiss, upin looking down I saw a rather large snake slithering away from about 2" beside my bare foot.
It was quite long, approximately 4-5ft, and as far as I can remember it was pretty much all black, with white diamonds down its spine, its tail ended with a red rattle.
Now I assume this was some sort of rattlesnake but I haven't been able to find anything so far that looks like it..

Any ideas?

Old 06-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
BWSmith
There are no rattlesnakes in the Philippines

Old 06-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
John217
I'm afraid you are mistaken, and unless you've lived there and noted every native species to the country then I would ask you to refrain from telling me that I "didnt see" something.

On the other hand if you have any actual helpful information, IE: any ideas what 'the snake described' IS. Then by all means.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
BWSmith
You are on the wrong side of the planet for Rattlesnakes, unless the Philippines moved to North, Central, or South America. Last time I checked, it was off the coast of Malaysia.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
John217
Dear sir,
Surprising as you may find it.. I do not care whether or not you think that species of snake actually live in the philippines, as the philippines has over 297 recorded species of snake, and I would estimate at least 100 more unrecorded.
I was asking for the name of any snake or snakes that match the above description. That is all.

Thankyou.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
BWSmith
I am not saying that I don't "think" that rattlesnakes are native to the Philippines, I am stating a fact. You have the same likelihood of finding a Rattlesnake, Krait, Cobra, or Mamba population living in the U.K. It is simple geography, not an opinion. I doubt that one obscure species of rattlesnake transversed an ocean, established a population in the Philippines, developed a "red" rattle, and has gone unnoticed thus far except by you. There are no shortage of books and papers on Rattlesnakes, if you don't believe me, try reading. RATTLESNAKES ARE NOT NATIVE TO THE PHILIPPINES.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
John217
Dear B.W.
You are extremely annoying. As I have already stated, I do not care whether or not you think rattlesnakes live in the philippines. I know what I saw, and your opinion on the subject is of no interest to me.
My question was for IDENTIFICATION of the described snake. If you cannot answer this question (as I'm assuming you can't) then kindly see yourself out.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Junkyard
It is possible that a rattlesnake can make it's way to the Philippines, in cargo transportation or through a person. Though does a black rattlesnake with diamonds and a red rattle exist? As far as I am aware in my little knowledge of rattlesnakes, I have never read or heard of one. Oh, BW does know a thing or two about rattlesnakes. It is also hard to identify a particular snake that is not common in an region that they do not belong in.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by John217
Dear B.W.
You are extremely annoying. As I have already stated, I do not care whether or not you think rattlesnakes live in the philippines. I know what I saw, and your opinion on the subject is of no interest to me.
My question was for IDENTIFICATION of the described snake. If you cannot answer this question (as I'm assuming you can't) then kindly see yourself out.
Why the rudeness? BW is only stating fact. Rattlesnakes are New World snakes, and there are no known exceptions. There's a snake called a red-tailed pipe snake that is native to the Philippines, but it doesn't really match your description.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
BWSmith
Some people simply do not accept facts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!