Abronia Graminea hurt hand - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
abbey_hutsell
Abronia Graminea hurt hand

I just received a pair of abronia Graminea from Underground reptiles. The male of the pair has what seems to be stuck shed on his wrist. It looks like he has grown around the shed. It looks like he could be close to losing his hand. If he does lose his hand, will he be okay? His hand is so swollen that I can't see if it really is stuck shed, and if it is I can't get to it to try to get it off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Old 01-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
snowgyre
Can you please post photos? Reptiles are generally pretty resilient against limb loss, but it's unfortunate you received an injured animal. Have you notified Underground Reptiles of the issue?

If it is stuck shed, soak the animal in luke warm water, then try to locate the constriction once the skin becomes more supple. You can carefully cut away the constriction with small scissors. But a photo would definitely be helpful.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
abbey_hutsell

Old 01-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
abbey_hutsell
I've sent an email to them, they say he was probably hurt during travel. But I've seen similar things on leopard geckos when they have issues shedding. It also looks like he has lost the tips of some toes. But I know I'm no expert, and these are the first A. Graminea I've had. So any opinions and tips would be welcome. Thank you

Old 01-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
abbey_hutsell

Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
andrew_john_007
Hey Abbey - curious to see how things ended up? Can you give us an update please.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
AdamHess512
Sorry I'm late to the party, an Abronia without a hand is like a bird with one wing, they are so avid climbers and will suffer from the loss of a hand, I would try soaking, the looking for any peeling, if it peels then peel it all off and then massage the wrist, from what I'm seeing there is a lack of blood flow to the upper wrist, the massage with help return that, although this can be a scary process, so I insist that you seek veterinary help. An exotic vet might not know a lot about Abronia's, but the wrist speaks for itself. Good luck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!