Eye injury in newborn snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
aliceinwl
Eye injury in newborn snake

I just had one of my rosies give birth to a surprise litter last night. All look to be somewhat premature. One seems to have had its eye "dislocated". This definitely looks to be a traumatic injury rather than a birth defect.

I put it in a warm enclosure on moist paper towels and the eye is mostly back in the socket now. The eye is cloudy, swollen, and the pupil is completely dilated. I'm not terribly optimistic about its longterm survival and best case scenario its eye will probably be nonfunctional.

But, is there anything available over the counter that would be safe to apply to the eye that might better the odds? Maybe something that would reduce swelling and prevent infection?

Old 12-28-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
bcr229
I've read that some BCI breeders keep ophthalmic ointment on hand because albino babies can have issues with eye swelling.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:15 PM   #3
Helenthereef
I'm afraid I don't know anything you could apply to the eye - but if you think it's been injured it might be best to have a vet remove it. Snakes can get by very well with only one eye, and it would remove the risk of infection that you run leaving a damaged eye in place.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
aliceinwl
Thanks all. I have some ophthalmic ointment that I’m going to try. This is a day old snake born prematurely, I don’t think it could handle the trauma of surgery or much handling. If it makes it to the point where it’s well enough to eat etc. and the eye is still a problem, I’ll re-assess.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
aliceinwl
It’s a really small snake ~8” and the eyes are only 2mm at most.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Well, good luck with the ointment - please post how it goes, really hoping for the best.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
elena
The important thing is to keep it clean to avoid infection. Make sure you are using paper towels as substrate so nothing gets in there. As others have said, if the animal survives, it will do fine with only one functional eye. I had a ratsnake who was born with a deformed eye, and probably could not see out of it. He had no problems at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!