Inquiry Tegusonly - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
coggin1
Tegusonly

I am thinking about purchasing a B/W argentine FireBelly tegu can anyone tell me about this company?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
tegusonly
Hello Charles,

This is Rodney Irwin from tegusony. You are right to check on anyone you are going
to do business with. This is a site without an agenda or attached to a tegu breeder.
Unlike tegutalk- john larocca or the tegucommunitty- bobby hill.
Both of these sites act as a weapons platform to attack competitors.
As much as I would like to continue ignoring them, well intended people believe
that I am some kind of monster because of the unfounded accusations about
me on these sites. This hurts my business. without business, I cannot continue the
work I do. This is my response, Please read it and make up your own mind.
Thanks, Rodney Irwin
Well, I just don’t know where to start… First off , I am Rodney Irwin,
owner of Tegusonly.com. I do not hide behind screen names.
Let me present the facts about what I do. It’s not that complicated.
For a period of years ending in 2005, a large breeding operation
released hundreds of Tupinambis merianae into the wild just outside of the
Everglades National Park. This was done intentionally by a few breeders
knowing that the animals would thrive in the adjacent habitat and their
offspring could be captured in future years, thereby eliminating the
expense of feeding and housing them. The business owner was cited by Florida
Fish and Wildlife authorities, abandoned the business and left the state.
However, the damage was done.
The climate and environment here are perfect for tegus. Their habitat is without
natural predators and rich with abundant food sources.
Unfortunately, our native species are the abundant food sources.
The very thing that makes tegus such incredible animals ( a very, very high
level of intelligence ), also makes them outstanding predators.
My family has lived here for over 110 years. The natives we grew up with
are being decimated by a tegu population estimated to be over ten thousand
and growing. Highest impact is on the egg laying species. Flamingo, spoonbill,
ibis, all native snakes, alligators and the remaining American Crocodiles.
When an adult enters a nest, it will eat as many eggs as it can ingest and
destroy the remainder by its bulk and sharp claws in the process.
Each nest lost represents an entire generation of animals from species that are
already in serious decline. Additionally, tegus are very adept at taking down small
animals such as mice, rats, young raccoons, opossums and others that are
essential to the food chain in the Everglades. The state of Florida classifies
these tegus as a non-native invasive species that can be killed on sight.
This year will see the largest increase in the organized effort to control the
population through eradication. Period. That is the plan.
As a South Florida native myself, it would have been easy for me to
be part of this. After all, they are killing many of my favorite animals.
Except for one thing. I fell in love with the little guys just like you.
I see both sides of the coin. ( Pretty much alone as far as I can tell ).
So far, I have captured almost eight hundred tegus. Some were sold to
wholesalers, others went to John LaRocca, and some went to reputable
breeders and reptile dealers. The rest I try to sell at a very reasonable price
to customers thru my website : Tegusonly.com
I never make claims that my tegus (high whites, really,really large.
or Firebelly’s, are the result of my breeder skills. All my tegus are as
they occurred in nature.
Seldom, but occasionally I will capture tegus that are not in the best shape.
When this happens, keep them until I have a few, then I have a Scratch and Dent
sale. I generate a special page under that name on my site and sell them for 50.00
to people that want and love them knowing they are not grade A animals.

This is the best option.
If the pictures used in the face book page are my tegus, this is where
they came from. Yes, they will stoop to that level.

Of course, my competitors hate to see 50.00 tegus on the market.
Since LaRocca or anyone from his tegutalk site never contacted me
or provided any answers to my requests for what should have been
provided in the first place, like names, pictures, the video they said they
had but could not produce and basic documentation of the charges against me.
Instead of providing dissatisfied customers or anything else that could
back up their allegations, they simply banned me from the site.
A common tactic they use often. see link below.
http://www.teguterra.com/apps/forums...s/show/4273790

Obviously you care about tegus. I would suggest that if you want to
follow a talk site or forum and make opinions based on what is said,
do so with Fauna or any site that requires anyone posting negative feedback
to use their actual name. Also you may want to check to see if the site
was started, owned, controlled by someone selling tegus in the marketplace.
Ask these questions about Tegutalk – John LaRocca and
the TeguCommunity site and Bobby Hill.
As a new business, it is absolutely critical to develop and maintain the best
reputation possible.

I considered building a talk/chat forum for my customers to exchange tegu

Information and communicate with each other. On the surface, it sounded like a

good idea. However, these forums provide a platform to attack others without

reason, make accusations without evidence, and provide a covert method to slander

competitors while hiding behind the anonymity of a talk site. If my site were to

have moderators, I would expect them to be fair to all and challenge vague and

unsupported allegations posted on the site. In short, the site represents the owner as

he or she influences or controls the content and moderators.

A few conventional breeders ( my competition, those who breed for profit only ),

have never understood that by saving tegus that are being hunted in the wild,

my work is beneficial to the breed. This is something they can never accomplish.

Instead of supporting my actions, as someone who cares about the fate of these

wonderful little creatures would, they attack with lies and attempt to drive away
people who want to buy a Florida tegu for reasons of their own.
This has been a great example of a talksite can be used as a weapons platform
when armed with a staff that hides behind screen names to say what they
will without challenge or real world consequences.

Please take a few minutes and go to Tegusonly.com
Look at who I am and what I do.
Continue to be passionate about tegus.

If you have any questions, contact me at 305 772 8140 or Irwinisland@gmail.com

Thank you,
Rodney Irwin

Truth exists, only falsehoods need be invented

http://www.tegusonly.com/#!about/cvc1

Old 02-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
TeguBuzz
Johnny LaRocca has nothing to do with this thread nor does he own, manage, or operate Tegu Talk - told you this many times Rodney.

As far as Rodney Iriwn at Tegus Only goes, he offers great prices for wild caught tegus. He won't scam you and the only reason he dislikes Tegu Talk so much is because the members there discussed his ship methods (6 months ago), and how poor they were. Maybe you've improved your shipping methods, but that was the only issue everyone had with you and you blew it out of proportion.

I'd much rather pay for a captive bred tegu then a wild caught, but if you can't pay that sort of money, then Tegus Only is your next choice.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
tegusonly
Hello TeguBuzz,
I don't want to fight with you but if it was just shipping methods 6 months ago it not be a problem. However, There is a Facebook Media set that comes up on google TODAY when someone searches for tegusonly.
BEWARE:::::: DO NOT BUY FROM TEGUSONLY.COM. twenty six people have posted
on that item based on what Moderators and staff have been posting for over a year.
I have never met or done business with you or anybody involved in this attack
with the exception of John LaRocca.
This is from LaRocca on April12, 2013
As I said, I will pay $60.00 for the small ones and $100.00 for the large males or females. I need more mails than females anyway. If these prices wont work then I don't need any. No hard feelings, we just won't do business when I get the large orders. I have other sources to get Tegus in South Florida, so it is not a big deal.
Thanks!
Johnny

www.teguterra.com

As far as LaRocca is concerned, If you read this perhaps you will understand why
It's hard to believe he has nothing to do with Tegutalk:

Please read the post from here: Google Banned from tegutalk
http://www.teguterra.com/apps/forums...s/show/4273790

Sarafina Sept 29,2013 :Teuguterra is run and operated with one person.. Johnny himself. Plus he is a wonderful person with great Tegus and is always very helpful whenever someone needs help.

This from YOU Sept 27 2013 by tegubuzz Moderator, Tegutalk
I have only ever seen two good purchases from TegusOnly - this one and another I saw a while back. He doesn't scam you, per say, but in most cases I've seen, you get a sickly looking animal.
You say you have seen two good purchases from Tegusonly, but in
most cases, the customer got a sickly looking animal.
Exactly how many cases have you seen? You are a moderator,
for Godsake. You should be investigating slanderous, unsupported
comments like that, not making them. I mean, who moderates the moderators?

Sept. 30, 2013 by Lurarfl Moderator Tegutalk
If he was just saving all the wild tegus, he would catch them, sell them for free, and customers would just pay shipping. He got them for free. Is that not an example of greed?
There was more to this post, but this is what really bothered me. GOT THEM FOR FREE?
My hospital bills from trapping last year were over $ 60,000. I have another $ 20,000
in vehicles,traps and operating expenses. What I do is hard dangerous work in remote areas under the worst possible conditions. It's not like I drive around and tegus jump
in my truck.
Jeremyxb12, Sep 27, 2013
but all in all you shouldn’t just boast about someone who makes a living catching wild animals and then decides to sell them for profit. I prefer someone who is almost like one with the tegu rather than a hunter” Why did not the moderator explain the tegus
I do not remove are being killed by the state and individuals on sight?

Your lucky you got a healthy one. I know of several people who have recieved boxes of near-death skin and bones tegus from him....
SnakeCharmr728, Sep 27, 2013

Sept.30, 2013 by Laurarfl
When members post reviews, we don't allow totally unfounded statements. They back it up or we take it down. We don't have lies and rumors floating around and this site remains a place of credible information.

You have made several references to video proof and never posted it for all to see. If you do ever produce this evidence,
you will of course, provide the source. Failing to do so would certainly give one cause as to doubt that is legitimate and from a credible source as is the case when you and
other staff state " we know of some people" or , Sept 27,2013 by Snakechrmr728 Moderator Tegutalk
"Your lucky you got a healthy one. I know of several people who have recieved boxes of near-death skin and bones tegus from him.... "
Myself and others, would very much like a chance to examine both.

I BRING THIS UP NOW AS THIS IS AN IMPORTANT TIME FOR MY WORK.
I AM CURRENTLY IN NEGOTIATIONS WITH FLORIDA FISH AND GAME COMMISSION,
USGS, UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA AND OTHERS TRAPPING TEGUS THIS SEASON.
I AM REQUESTING THE OPPORTUNITY TO RESCUE THEIR HARVEST FROM
BEING EUTHANIZED TO CONTROL THE POPULATION AS IS THE CURRENT PLAN.
THERE ARE OVER SIXTY PEOPLE INVOLVED FROM SIX AGENCIES,COMMISSIONS
AT STATE AND FEDERAL LEVEL. THE MEMBERS OF THIS GROUP THAT ARE NOT
ALREADY FAMILAR WITH ME, WILL, I'M SURE, PERFORM INTERNET SEARCHES
ON TEGUSONLY. THE FACEBOOK "BEWARE OF TEGUSONLY" AND THE TEGUTALK
THREAD BASHING ME MAY BE A FACTOR IN DECISIONS THAT WILL DETERMINE
LIFE OR DEATH FOR HUNDREDS OF INNOCENT TEGUS. THIS PROCESS IS IN MOTION NOW. IT WOULD BE A GOOD THING IF THE SLATE WERE TO BE CLEAN.
IF YOU CAN MAKE THAT HAPPEN, IT WOULD BE SOMETHING TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT.

Rodney Irwin
RODNEY IRWIN

I HAVE MUCH MORE TO SAY, HOWEVER, I RESPECT THE FAUNA SITE AND THEIR BOI
RULES. IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE, JUST CANTACT ME VIA EMAIL AT:
IRWINISLAND@GMAIL.COM

Old 02-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
SofaKing
I have to say Rodney,

I think what your doing is a good thing. I agree you should find some way to be compensated for the time and effort in catching these Tegus. It just happens to be selling them, which is perfectly reasonable.

I really can't find the " Greed " in what your doing thats been stated. If greed is spending your time, financing the cost of trapping/housing/feeding, eliminate them from being evasive in a ethical manner and just the overall love for the species makes you greedy, then I have to say your guilty....

It's like comparing you to the SPCA or some kinda Rescue that take in stray dogs and cats. They charge a adoption fee that helps to cover some of the cost. Does that make them greedy as well?

You can always tell the difference between the people who love animals and the ones that are in it for the mighty buck.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
TeguBuzz
Alright, my post below may seem choppy as I attempt to respond to your post above Rodney.

1. In regards to the Facebook media set - I have nothing to do with any Facebook affiliated Tegu groups. I don't partake in them, not a member in them, don't even look into them.
2. On the subject of Johnny LaRocca and the link you posted with regards to teguboy77; he was banned (temporarily) from the forums long before I was a moderator for reasons I cannot recall. His temp ban has since expired and it's just a matter of him not frequenting the forum anymore. I have however spoken with him through PM a few months back in regards to our Cyclura.
3. On the subject of Sarefina. Where did she say that? I would really like to know. Josh B. runs Tegu Talk, he operates it all on his own. Johnny LaRocca does not own it nor does he operate it - he merely paid for a sponsorship banner (I believe), to have a hot-link to his site on the forums.
4. On the post I made -- please read this carefully. Notice the date and month, that was in September, 5 months ago. I can confidently say shipments and tegus I've seen from you as of late were far more impressive than that of 5-6 months ago. You need to understand that at that time I was merely saying I had only seen two good shipments out of the few that I had seen.

In recent times I've actually been looking at your ads on Kingsnake and such and have been tempted to jump back into tegus and purchase a sub-adult from you seeing as the animals are actually looking pretty well. I appreciate your idea to name them after fallen soldiers and commend you for that. I'd be very glad to take this civil conversation between us to a phone call if you'd like seeing as I am not saying you're a bad guy on this thread at all.

Finally, and I'll say it again - Rodney and I have had our differences but I would like to turn my opinion that existed 6 months ago on him to a better one. What he does helps the native population of species, as well as rescues several tegus that would likely be exterminated. I would not hesitate to purchase from Rodney Irwin and hope more people in the tegu community realize this.

Rodney, if you want to talk over the phone - give me a good time to call you up and I will this week. If there are any issues you want to discuss that are on your mind, let me know.

- Manolis

Old 02-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
coggin1
Are the high white tegus the same as what some call Giant Chocoan? still havent decided exactly what variety i want as so many call the same breeds different names. Fortunately i am still working on my enclosure so i still have time to figure it all out. My beardies may not like the new addition coming soon, they are quiet spoiled

Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
Karma Kritters
Not sure about what he is selling but you can have some really nice high white argentines without them being what is being called Chocoans. The best way to tell is as babys. Argentines have green heads where Chocoans have kind of a kaki colored head and shoulders.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
serenitydiver
I know exactly what he is selling, I catch them down here myself. In my experience (catching over 1500 of these) absolutely 0 of the hatchlings have green heads. Which leads most of us to believe they may be hybrids. Nobody really knows. Ive caught some huge males that were high white and resembled the so called chacoans and ive also caught some that look to be columbians. Golds have also been found here. As for the "firebelly", it doesnt exist. The red on the belly is a result of the tannins in the water down here. Its a stain on the skin that sheds out over time. I thought it was special myself when I caught a highly red belly female last year, so I kept her for my own collection. Now.. she is still a beautiful tegu but absolutely no red remains. I hope this answers some of your questions. And as for Rodney Irwin and Tegusonly? I think Rodney is doing a great service to this environment just like the rest of us down here are doing. He is trying to recoop the cost as said earlier in another post. The cost to us trappers is not cheap mainly thanks to our U.S. government and the gas prices! Give the man a chance. Its better us catch them and try to find them new homes, alternative.... the local university doing stomach content analysis on them to see what they are eating... but as we all already know they eat everything!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
Samsung
I've purchased from Rodney twice and both times got what I payed for wild caught tegu remember that. They do tame down nicely but a lot of dedication, the only problem I have with Rodney is that he's calling them fire belly tegus and charging more when in reality I spoke to him and all they are is regular tegus the reason why their belly's are so orange color has to do with the fruits their eating and pumpkins as well. Like I said I've been to his home and he take good care of his wild caught tegus done business with him twice and if I ever need another I will not hesitate to buy from him again and he let me pick the ones I felt comfortable with. Just stay away from the so call fire belly cause their just regular tegus other then that he really is a great guy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!