Anyone own Baja Cape Gophers snakes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
darkbloodwyvern
Talking Anyone own Baja Cape Gophers snakes?

Saw some pics of them I saved a few years ago from someone's website, and was wondering what your experiences with these neat looking snake were? Some sites say heat them around 85 degrees, other say higher than 79 makes them regurg. What works or worked best for yours?
Do you know of any good breeders?

Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
hhmoore
You might want to try John Schmitt at Suncoast Herpetological. He has a few types of gophers advertised...I don't remember seeing Baja Capes, specifically, but I think he had mid-Bajas (not doing gophers, I don't know if there is significant difference)
http://suncoastherps.com

Old 11-17-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
pituophislady
John is a good guy. Gregg Feaster is another good guy to talk to greggsrb.com I had a Cape Gopher, they are cute little buggers, tiny. I kept mine with a hot side at 82 and he only went there right after eating. Most of the time he stayed on the cooler side. Mine was a very nervous critter.

Don't know if this helps...
Amie

Old 11-18-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
Lloyd Heilbrunn
I just had 8 babies hatch ,assuming you mean vertebralis,and not bimaris.

Keep them on the cool side and use smaller than expected food items for their size.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:28 AM   #5
Suncoast Herpetological
Very pretty babies Lloyd.

The Capes seem to do well in the 80 to 82 sweet spot. Whoever is recommending 85 is off a bit. They handle a night drop down a few degrees well though which probably mimics the desert climate nicely. I have a few available as well if you are looking.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:29 AM   #6
Suncoast Herpetological
Lloyd raised a good question though. Are you referring to Bimaris or Vertabralis?

Old 11-18-2006, 01:38 AM   #7
Lloyd Heilbrunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
Very pretty babies Lloyd.

Thanks,John,that means a lot coming from you,who always has such nice snakes......

Old 11-21-2006, 04:25 AM   #8
darkbloodwyvern
referring to

vertibralis. nice pictures! they are neat looking little snakes. I am getting curious about the more obscure species of snake people have as pets. nice to have something unusual in the collection, although i am not looking for an animal just yet. I sure want them after seeing pictures, though!

thank for the help everyone!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!