Eastern Boxies - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
ssshane
Eastern Boxies

I had made my enclosure larger over the winter while my 4 were hibernating.

My 2nd female finally emerged this week (2.2), she was the last of the four to come out. Last year I didnt have a problem with the males fighting, this year is a different story. I built a make do enclosure for the second male today. These next three photos are from earlier today.

Both females with Male #2

Female in the front, male #2 next, then the dominant Male #1 approaching fast. This was the whole reason for seperating them.

And Male #2's new home.

Its still a work in progress. He will be much happier in here without being hassled my the dominant male.

Dominant male #1

Male #2

Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
joseydiann
Nice looking enclosure and boxies. All 25 of mine came up and already bred.

Amanda

Old 05-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
RickNC
Nice enclosures. How much humidity are you getting in the second enclosure? Looks very dry.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
ssshane
I have to manually water it with my hose. There is about 6 to 8 inches of bark in there. When I soak it, it holds moisture pretty well. I water my garden daily, and hit both enclosures at the same time. I am open to other ideas though. This was not something that was planned, it was spur of the moment. Last year the dominant male didnt bother the other at all.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
ssshane
His enclosure now has a little more structure

Old 06-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
bigalosu
I always thought that tomato plants were poisonous. Not the fruit, but the leaves and stems. You might want to do some research on it to be sure. I know you can make an organic pesticide from soaking the leaves and I have this thought in the back of my head that says that you don't want your cat or dog to chew on them. I know it is a member of the nightshade family, but the toxicity in the fruit is so minimal that it is harmless to humans.
Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
ssshane
I was taking a photo of a snake in the yard (other post), so I thought I would snap a few photos while I had the camera out.

Female 1

Female 2

Old 07-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
ssshane
Here is their male:

Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
ganttrw
Love what you have here. Hope you are still enjoying your box turtles. Because of family concerns 15 years ago, I had to give mine to fellow eastern box turtle lovers. I am now trying to find some that I can raise as pets. I live in middle Georgia and have moderate climates. Do you have any box turtles or know of any breeders who currently have some or might in the next few months? I appreciate your response. Ganttrw@yahoo.com

Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
ssshane
Hi. Currently I do not know of anyone with them. I was associated with a box turtle rescue out of Asheville NC several years ago and they worked with me to get my rescues. Check with your local herp society. I know ours has produced a few recently looking for new homes. Good luck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!