What I'm doing - the progression - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment

Notices

Photography & Videography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical and practical details of how to take good pictures and videos, as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
hhmoore
What I'm doing - the progression

I'm setting this up as a record of what I'm doing with my camera in various shoots...and hopefully I will learn something from it. All pics posted will be exactly as they come out of the camera, except for resizing.

For this group, I set up a piece of white posterboard on the kitchen island. There is a small light suspended approx 3 ft above the surface. It's a crappy set up, but I broke down my old photo box because I needed the space & I wasn't really happy with the lighting I had for it.
Since the lighting is insufficient, I set up two 18" fluorescent fixtures with natural white bulbs - one on each side of, and approx 8 inches above, the photo area. Talk about a cob job, lol.
Shooting with my Nikon D90, 18-55mm lens. These shots were taken in manual mode, with no other setting changes. (I tried starting in Auto - but the surrounding lights prevented the flash from firing, and the pics were too dark.) The first shot - the firefly - was taken from behind, almost between, the fluorescents. It gave the best light, but was a tough angle to shoot from (leaning over the sink, from the side); so I didn't bother with it for the rest of the shots. The remainder were from the "front" of the set up - and are still disappointingly dark, with lots of shadow.

I probably won't do more pics until I put my photo/light box up again, and (hopefully) get the lighting more to my satisfaction. I'll see how the initial shots turn out, then decide what to mess with first (thinking it will probably be aperture, unless I nail the lighting).

Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
SERPENTS DEN
Harald, I would suggest getting familiar with your camera and look over the users manual to start. The main problem I'm seeing is you need to correct your white balance. There's several different methods but I will not recommend one of the cameras presets but I will recommend setting a custom white balance.

Here's the method I'm currently using to set my custom white balance.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=290978

Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
hhmoore
I did set the white balance previously (Yes - I know I have to do it again, but this was a very temporary set up, so I didn't bother). Honestly, I was less than thrilled with the results last time, as there were more important things that needed fixing.

I purchased a separate book for this camera shortly after getting it, as it was my first venture into using a DSLR. I only got about halfway through it, when life started taking precedent. I barely have time to take pictures right now, so I definitely don't have time to go wading into the book, lol. I know it needs to be done, but I also know that there are some fairly simple set up changes that will help a lot. Just have to make them happen. Either that, or go back to a point n shoot - which isn't sounding like such a bad idea.

I saw your other thread, and I was looking it over this morning before I posted this thread. I'll look forward to your suggestions as I work on things, Steve. (It will be a slow process, at least for a while, as pics just aren't a priority)

Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
SERPENTS DEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I did set the white balance previously (Yes - I know I have to do it again, but this was a very temporary set up, so I didn't bother). Honestly, I was less than thrilled with the results last time, as there were more important things that needed fixing.

I purchased a separate book for this camera shortly after getting it, as it was my first venture into using a DSLR. I only got about halfway through it, when life started taking precedent. I barely have time to take pictures right now, so I definitely don't have time to go wading into the book, lol. I know it needs to be done, but I also know that there are some fairly simple set up changes that will help a lot. Just have to make them happen. Either that, or go back to a point n shoot - which isn't sounding like such a bad idea.

I saw your other thread, and I was looking it over this morning before I posted this thread. I'll look forward to your suggestions as I work on things, Steve. (It will be a slow process, at least for a while, as pics just aren't a priority)
Did you set your white balance manually/custom with a grey card or using one of the cameras presets. If you set a custom white balance for the lighting condition you shoot under you'll have much better pics.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
hhmoore
I set it manually, according to the instructions in the book.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
SERPENTS DEN
Quote:
I set it manually, according to the instructions in the book.
To set it manually with a custom profile you would have to use a 18% neutral grey card. The manually you are referring to is using the cameras presets for daylight, fluorescent, tungsten etc.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
hhmoore
No, I did not use the presets. I used a white card.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
SERPENTS DEN
Quote:
No, I did not use the presets. I used a white card.

Every time the lighting source changes you need to set-up a custom white balance to match the lighting. For me most of my shots are in my light tent with the same lighting.

Can you send me some of your pics with the EXIF and metadata still embedded and also are you noticing a color shift of your pictures when you post them on the web?

You do know that your pictures have a heavy pink/purple cast...right?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
hhmoore
Yes, I know I have to redo my white balance - yes, I know the pics are a mess...as I said, this was a very temporary set up - the intent was just to get a few pics taken as quickly as possible.
Again, I know there are issues with these pics - they aren't going to get fixed. I posted this thread so I could see how things change as I correct the problems that I know exist....and then to hopefully find out how to improve on things after that. I DO appreciate that you are trying to help; but can we wait until I fix what I already know is broken, lol?

Let me get myself set up again, and I'll post some new pics.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Nickrows
They're good shots. Other than the WB, only thing I would do differently is to diffuse your lights somehow. Maybe tape some white tissue paper in front of the lamps to soften the shadows some more.

Keep it up, you have some beautiful animals

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!