Scarlet king snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
WebSlave
Scarlet king snake

So I'm sleeping peacefully this morning and Connie comes rushing into the bedroom around 9:30am telling me I HAVE to get up to see what she found. So I stumbled out to the front porch and she tells me to look in the 5 gallon bucket that is sitting there.

Pretty little thing! She said she saw him crawling along by the back door of the old reptile building. I guess he heard about how there used to be free food around here for snakes. Connie opened the door to look for something to try to put him in, and he tried to crawl into the open doorway. She had to scold him a bit, and I guess it's a good thing it was only 59 degrees out, as he was a bit slow and didn't just bolt away from her. Anyway, she found the 5 gallon bucket, and I'm still not sure how she got the snake into the bucket, as I'm sure she didn't pick him up.

Anyway, we set him out in the grass by one of the garden areas and I took a few more pics of him, then went back to bed. Maybe we'll see him again some time....

Old 04-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Ed Clark
Nice!

It's still a bit too cold up here to get out in the woods yet.but soon.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
WebSlave
The best day I ever had collecting in New Jersey was during an abnormally cold day in June MANY years ago. Wound up catching about a half dozen gravid coastal plains milk snakes that day. They were all laying right underneath the very first layer trying to catch whatever warmth they could without being exposed.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
Ed Clark
Coastals will not shy away from cool weather, I have seen them as late as mid November. actually they are more visible/active in cooler weather.

we are just starting to reach the 50's, week and a half ago we had a major snow storm.

After the first of May it will start warming up, then I walk the center of shallow fresh water streams that eventually turn brackish than saltwater.these are the domains of spotted turtles in the water, box turtles up on the grassy banks along with many different kinds of snakes.eastern chain kings are the king of the hill there.

time to charge up the camera battery.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
markpulawski
That is so cool to find such a beautiful snake roaming free in your yard, even cooler that is still free. Florida is such a big state, it's nice to know there it still so much undeveloped habitat out there. I used to see a huge yellow Pine Snake here 2 - 3 times per year, but I had head it was run over a few years ago, I always regretted not catching and letting it go somewhere with less people.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
markpulawski
Oops just found out the large Pine Snake I have told people about that used to be seen in the is area was actually an Everglades Rate Snake. I just had a 3 to 4' go by front door the other day and friend said look at that Everglades rat to which I replied I thought that was a pine snake, oops no it was and Everglades rat, tan with 2 lines down the back, very cool encounter.
In the last month I have seen cross by my front door, ring neck, black racer, scarlett king and now everglades rat, I need a snake crossing sign.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
EdgarMoreno
Where is this "old reptile building" at ? I'd like to go herping there.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #8
Mech
I love kingsnakes.
They just do it for me.
Scarlet kings are so so cool.
I've never kept one but would like to.
You are blessed to have them in your yard.
I'd love to have a trio in my collection.
Nice pics.
Andy

Old 12-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarMoreno View Post
Where is this "old reptile building" at ? I'd like to go herping there.
That building is in my yard. No more reptiles in it. Now it holds Connie's yoga exercise room, my music room, work room, and storage rooms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!