Cham Cage ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
So Pirate55
Cham Cage ?

quick question to all of you chameleon people. I've had plenty of experience in snakes and turtles, but i'd like to extend it into chameleon world. I'm looking into possibly getting a panther cham, but i had a question about caging.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with these extended toppers for glass aquariums. For those who dont know what i'm talking about they are screen tops, but they add another foot or so in height to glass aquariums. This would be a temporary enclosure to house a juvie until it's big enough to go into a 24x24x48 screened cage. I'm worried that the glass around the bottom, while helping control humidity would not allow for needed ventilation. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Harry

Old 12-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Vegas Chad
I would not recommend a glass enclosure for the bottom half of the cage… Ventilation is key when they are young and I would not want the bottom half of the cage to be able to retain and collect all the water that drips down from your misting and/or dripper, unless of course you drill a hole for the water to flow out or are willing to soak it up every day (which seems like a PITA to me.) Consider getting one of them reptairum type cages until it is ready for a big boy cage… I don’t really like them either, however if you are tying to minimize the cost that is probably a good way to go. Or, you could make your own cage!?!?!?!

Old 12-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
So Pirate55
thanks, that's what i was thinking, but i didnt know if anyone had any sucess with them or not.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Vegas Chad
Its not to say if you did not do it that it -could- not work... However I would hate for you to get a nice looking panther and then have it KO on you becuase of a tank below. Plus if you did use that type of cage it would be a ton of work keeping it clean! I keep all of mine is cages about 16x16x30 from about 3m to 1yr... So if you got a 'correct' cham cage that size then you would have 9 months to save up for a full saze cage and then sell the old one... Just another option.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
So Pirate55
yeah, that's a lot of money to spend on an animal to go cheap on caging. The more i look into them, the more i may be leaning toward veiled's and use the money saved to invest more into husbandry. I like the panthers better, but with a limited budget i'd much rather have a thriving veiled in a better enclosure, than a panther in a medeocre cage. It's just not fair the animal.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
j walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Pirate55 View Post
quick question to all of you chameleon people. I've had plenty of experience in snakes and turtles, but i'd like to extend it into chameleon world. I'm looking into possibly getting a panther cham, but i had a question about caging.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with these extended toppers for glass aquariums. For those who dont know what i'm talking about they are screen tops, but they add another foot or so in height to glass aquariums. This would be a temporary enclosure to house a juvie until it's big enough to go into a 24x24x48 screened cage. I'm worried that the glass around the bottom, while helping control humidity would not allow for needed ventilation. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Harry
juvies do not make good starter chams and aquarium toppers do not make good cham cages (except for maybe the first 6 weeks)

Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
j walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Pirate55 View Post
yeah, that's a lot of money to spend on an animal to go cheap on caging. The more i look into them, the more i may be leaning toward veiled's and use the money saved to invest more into husbandry. I like the panthers better, but with a limited budget i'd much rather have a thriving veiled in a better enclosure, than a panther in a medeocre cage. It's just not fair the animal.
now your thinkin

Old 07-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
j walker
i am familiar with tank toppers and cant recomend them as a good araingement, how old of a cham are we talking about?, and does he cup feed ?, if he cup feeds it can go straight into that big of cage,you might want to put an acrylic panel on the back of the cage (preferably on the inside, about 60%of the way up)until he gets older, to help stabilize the humidity , but then again i am not a panther keeper

Old 07-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #9
j walker
ok right so i just noticed i replied to a two year old post, maybe somebody else has the same question

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!