Hurricane Harvey - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
Lucille
Hurricane Harvey

I was just fixing to move away from the coast to a more inland Texas location, thought I would never have to deal with another hurricane. I hate them, so much work, so much worry.
It appears that there will be serious flooding in my area. Here it is August in Texas and I will likely lose electricity and it will be hotter than you know where until they get it fixed.

On the other hand, I have nice neighbors, bottled water, flashlights, and some freshly made tollhouse cookie brownies to share if we all decide to watch movies until the electricity goes out.

Hopefully it won't be too bad

Old 08-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
WebSlave
When we had power out here for four days, the one thing I would have KILLED to have had on hand were one or more battery powered fans. We just could not sleep at night because of the heat. Could not open the windows, because that would have just made it worse to allow all that humid air inside.

I tried using the UPS systems for the computer gear with some regular AC fans, but that didn't work for very long. So I found one that is supposed to last 40 hours on 6 D sized batteries, if I remember correctly, and I bought a couple, just in case.

Hope things don't get rough for you.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I will likely lose electricity
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
We just could not sleep at night because of the heat.
Generator = your new best friend. $300-$800 for powering fans, saving your refrigerated goods and sanity.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
bcr229
I'm guessing right now you couldn't find a generator for sale in most stores along the gulf coast.

I have one, 6500W, which was a lifesaver after we had a summer storm in July a few years back that clobbered our power for four days with temps over 100*F afterward. We couldn't run the A/C but having cold drinks and fans made it bearable - not to mention we didn't lose any perishable food.

Bear in mind if you do run a generator it has to be guarded 24/7 or it will end up stolen quickly.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 AM   #5
WebSlave
Looks like it is developing a pretty distinct eye....

Batten down the hatches....
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2017, 01:21 AM   #6
WebSlave
Looks like they are predicting this to get pretty serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NO8WEguY8o

Old 08-25-2017, 03:12 AM   #7
Lucille
It does look serious. I'm glad now that I had some extremely expensive tree work done in the back yard, having a large dying tree that overhung the house taken down.
I always feel sorry for the dogs during hurricanes, the forceful winds and rain must be scary to them but they still have to go out there a couple times a day.
Of course they may be happy later if the electricity goes out because then they will get to have all the tasty meats and casseroles in the deep freeze.
Fortunately I learned to can last year so there is quite a bit of stored canned food that will be fine as long as the house is not flattened by some neighbor's tree.
It is literally a matter of weeks before I had planned to move, I had hoped to never deal with another hurricane but as they say, never say never.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #8
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Of course they may be happy later if the electricity goes out because then they will get to have all the tasty meats and casseroles in the deep freeze.
You can find an upside to most situations if you look, this is one of them for the dogs
Good luck Lucille!

Old 08-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
WebSlave
Yeah, definitely looking like a huge rainmaker for coastal Texas....
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
WebSlave
Well, this could be an interesting wrinkle concerning this storm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU6R9gC_u_A

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!