Is it okay to ship this time of year? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 12-30-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
Snakemother
Is it okay to ship this time of year?

I'd heard that the heat packs will freeze if the temps get low enough, and I'm in Michigan where it definitely gets below freezing. I was planning to wait to sell some leopard geckos till spring, but see lots of folks shipping to and from very cold areas of the country. How do they ensure the warmth of their animals?
Thanks!

Old 12-30-2004, 04:23 PM   #2
MR_Jungle_Mist
If this is your first time shipping or you have not shipped many times before I'd hold off until you are sure the temperature is adequate. I've never heard of heat packs freezing before nor have I ever had it happen. Reputable folks will know when it is alright to ship and when it is not. If the temperatures go too low even some of the better packagers/shippers will not ship until they go back up again.

For the sake of the animals (and to save yourself a few headaches) just wait until you are comfortable shipping out.

Old 12-30-2004, 07:12 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
This is just my opinion on the subject:

Any shipments sent during times when temps are lower than optimal should be packaged in a strong cardboard outer box with a styrofoam liner about 3/4 and inch thick. Styrofoam is cheap and is a great insulator. You can easily cut pieces to fit the walls, bottom and to of the box. If you cut correctly it does not need to be glued or taped to the box and it will fit snuggly.

A heat pack or heat packs should be included too as necessary depending on the temps. Use a heat pack that will last around 48 to 36 hours. Test some beforehand to make sure you have a good brand that lasts as long as the package claims, and to see how hot it gets. You want to keep a herp warm, not cook it in the box.

The box should be large enough to allow for enough air for at least three days, even though shipped overnight. This is because you will likely be using an unventilated box to retain heat. Finding a big enough box is easy to do for a leo sized herp. Of course you can also use a ventilated box but this will allow heat to escape and mayb endanger a herp during winter shipping.

Before shipping check the weather for your area, and for the area to which you are shipping, and any other area where the herp may change planes or travel any distance on a truck. This is easily done online. For example I checked Michigan and saw that Akron, Michigan has the following forecast:

FRI
49°F 9°C
28°F -2°C

SAT
33°F 0°C
28°F -2°C

SUN
44°F 6°C
31°F 0°C

MON
40°F 4°C
29°F -1°C

TUE
46°F 7°C
33°F 0°C

If you were shipping to me my forecast in Mineola, NY is:

FRI
52°F 11°C
45°F 7°C

SAT
54°F 12°C
33°F 0°C

SUN
42°F 5°C
37°F 2°C

MON
52°F 11°C
37°F 2°C

TUE
48°F 8°C
46°F 7°C

I would consider this on the cold side for many tropical snakes, but N/A colubrids of Northern species maybe ok as would any NA colubrid in brumation - yes they need a proper heat pack to maintain temps in the 50s. Likewise for lizards. Likewise for turtles. Many temperate zone amphibiams could probably travel with little chance of danger so long as protected from freezing.

I would recommend shipping when temps for three days, at both ends and along the route, are expected to be no less than in the high forties, with the fifties being better, for temperate zone herps. For tropical or subtropical I would recommend temps at least in the mid 50s. Of course using heat packs and insulation as required.

Old 12-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
jglass38
Glenn,

Great post! Bottom line is think about the safety and well being of the animal. It never hurts to wait a couple more days!

A live reptile is a happy reptile...Damn that was just gay...

Jamie

Old 12-31-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
Snakemother
Thanks, guys. I guess if I do go ahead and list them, I'll also put in the ad that day of shipment will rely on weather. I know for myself, when I buy animals I'm happy to wait to ensure safe shipment. I guess most folks are like that.
And I'll use all your shipping tips! Thanks!

Old 01-20-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
dzoo
Right now my temps are highs in the 20's and lows in the single digits. I received 2 shipments yesterday, one dart frogs, boa and turtles arrived just fine.

The second shipment, of snakes, unfortunately had several DOA's - not from the cold though, they died from OVERHEATING - the shipper was so worried about the cold that they were actually killed with kindness, too many heatpacks, too close to the animals and too little ventilation. So it is definately tricky to ship in this weather.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
SPJ
I shipped a snake this past Tuesday. Temps were 8 degrees with a wind chill of 15 below when he left. The temps where he arrived on Wednesday morning were 25 degrees.
I used a new insulated box, extra packing material (peanuts), put the snake in a deli cup with substrate, and placed a 40 hour heat pack under 1/2 of the cup.
The snake arrived healthy and happy and still warm.

I also recieved a snake on Thursday and the temps here were still only about 15 degrees. That snake arrived fine and was packaged very well.

Snakes can be shipped even in cold weather but you must make sure the box is properly insulated, you use heat packs, and pack it with extra heat holding material.

Never cut corners on shipping, especially in the winter.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!