Shipping snakes via USPS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Mike Greathouse
Shipping snakes via USPS

There is a person on Reptibid offering every manner of reptile who is stating that he ships via USPS Priority Mail at a rate of $25.00.

I questioned him via private email specifically regarding the shipping of snakes and he stated that it was allowable for snakes under 36" in length. When I mentioned the USPS Domestic Mail Manual and cited the section which specifically prohibits the shipment of any snake - his communication ceased.

I now see that he has been questioned publicly by someone else, to which he responded:
Quote:
i am aware of the shipping regulations over USPS snake shipping i own a Reptile Ranch and sell to many zoos and pet shops with this i have a signed contract saying as long as its under 68" i may ship it.
Has anyone ever heard of such a contract?

Just curious.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Lucille
I have not; and I have reviewed the USPS regulations a while back and have not heard of any new exceptions. I would think a new exception of this nature would be met with much publicity.

I think it would be a favor to all of us who abide by the law, to forward this person's emails and advertisement to USPS.
It is people like this that get our freedom to own reptiles diminished; after all when a public outcry is made when a snake gets loose in a mail truck or postal facility. readers may look to all reptile owners with disapproval.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Junkyard
I have not heard of any new contracts either. This guy told you that it is okay if the snakes are under 36" and telling another person that it is okay if the snakes are under 68". He is not being very truthful. We are aware that they do not allow snakes at all, so why would they allow him to ship a snake(especially one so big)?

Old 03-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Mike Greathouse
I fully expected that this guy was either misinformed or dishonest.

I was even more convinced when I visited his web site. The pictures and the descriptions from his ads and website appear to be stock photos from an online encyclopedia or something similar. The text on the site is riddled with misspelled words. Add to this that it is on a free hosting site and it has all the earmarks of a young kid.

I'm going to alert the webmaster at Reptibid and let them deal with it as they see fit.

Thanks to everyone for confirming my suspicions.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
Cat_72
I commented on one auction recently about the seller shipping USPS, and some other posters told me I was a loser and needed to get a life. So......I sent a link to USPS. Don't know if they actually did anything.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #6
Mike Greathouse
Resolved

As it turns out, Reptibid was already way ahead on this. They had contacted the seller, checked out his references, and confirmed that he is legitimate.

I also received an email from the seller in question. He stated that he has already changed his shipping methods and is revising his ads and web site accordingly.

All is well.

Thank you to all who responded.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
Cat_72
Wow, that's refreshing to hear, Mike!!

I just love happy endings, lol.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
Junkyard
That is good to see.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
There is a person on Reptibid offering every manner of reptile who is stating that he ships via USPS Priority Mail at a rate of $25.00.

I questioned him via private email specifically regarding the shipping of snakes and he stated that it was allowable for snakes under 36" in length. When I mentioned the USPS Domestic Mail Manual and cited the section which specifically prohibits the shipment of any snake - his communication ceased.

I now see that he has been questioned publicly by someone else, to which he responded:

Has anyone ever heard of such a contract?

Just curious.
Absolutely not!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
Suncoast Herpetological
Ooops...I see that this has been resolved. That'll teach me to reply before I read the whole thread

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!