Shipping large orders? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
ophidile
Shipping large orders?

I was wondering what's considered the best way to ship lots of babies? I'd like to be able to ship about 50 baby corns. I've done quite a few small shipments by now, and normally I ship them in individual delis, (& styro-lined boxes from superior enterprises) of course, but the biggest order I've done is 5 snakes.
I am willing to ship all of them in individual delis, if that's the standard, but it seems like it will waste a lot of space. Was wondering what methods other people use to ship wholesale lots of baby snakes.

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
DAND
Check a local pet store and see if they still have any of their fish boxes. They fit delis 3 x 3 - 9 total on the bottom and then multiple high.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
ophidile
Thanks - I actually do already have a box that should fit all of them (what I use to transport them to shows and such, just with school now I shouldn't keep doing shows) - plus some syro sheets I was planning to cut to line it for support and all that.
I just wasn't sure if it was actually standard to get larger containers and put several hatchlings in one. But yeah, probably best just to keep them all individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
Check a local pet store and see if they still have any of their fish boxes. They fit delis 3 x 3 - 9 total on the bottom and then multiple high.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
No, it's not standard to put several snakes in the same bin/bag. If I received animals like that I would be pretty po'ed.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
ophidile
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
No, it's not standard to put several snakes in the same bin/bag. If I received animals like that I would be pretty po'ed.
Once someone did combine two snakes in one cup in something they sent to me, and I was kind of like "ehh?!" especially since there was plenty of room in the box for an extra cup.
I just didn't want to send out 50 delis and have the person be like "uhh, why did you do this hahaha this is really inefficient"
Either way I was going to confirm with them how they want the babies shipped - but yeah, thanks for confirming my first instinct. Separate separate separate!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
bcherps
Hey all,

For fun I'll play devil's advocate:

I do a lot of wholesale shipping, a lot of times 100 lots of corns and I usually put 10-25 per bag depending on bag size and whether we are using heat packs or cold packs. We do 10 in 10x20 bags and 25 in 16 x 24's With 3-5 1/2 sheets of crumpled newspaper.

If shipping animals from different litters where lineage is needed, different het status, or morphs that look very similar you need to seperate them.

The standard 16 x 16 x 11 "fish cooler" size easily fits 100-150 corns.

If you are new to shipping and you are going to use cups make sure to put some paper towel or shredded paper in the cups to keep the snakes from smashing up against hard plastic if the box is dropped, thrown, or looks like the carrier played soccer at lunch with it.

I never, ever, mix species in one bag, or combine ophidiophagus species.

Then to save even further on shipping you can get a box banding tool and some plastic straps and you can "marry 2-8 boxes together" into one, especially if the boxes are light or you are shipping delta dash, or one of the other airlines.

Thanks
ben

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!