Boa and Python room mates??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
SnakeMover
Question Boa and Python room mates???

Need a little help here from the more experienced keepers...

I have a 7' Albino Burm that I picked up recently from a customer. I'm currently keeping him in a cage that's a little too small for him until I can either build a bigger one or find someone to buy him. I'm VERY limited on space.
One of the guys who works for me is leaving for basic training and asked me to keep his 6.5' Red tail for the next 5 months. The boa came with a very large wooden cage that is plenty big enough for both of these large snakes. Building a new cage for the python will take time and money. I hate to see him in a cage that's too small. Rooming them together temporarily would be an ideal solution for me and the python.

So, the all important question is... Can I keep both of these snakes in the same cage?
Does anyone have any previous experience with keeping separate species together? Will they room together well or try to kill each other? Will the slightly bigger, and more aggresive, python try to eat the boa?

Any intelligent advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 11-12-2004, 05:08 AM   #2
Brent Strande
I already answered the same question of yours in another thread, here's what I typed:

This may be a good reason not to...

I found them in this thread

It just doesn't make sense to house diff species if you ask me...

Old 11-14-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
SnakeMover
Thanks

Although the pictures were not necessary, the sentiment and idea is understood. Snakes can and will eat other snakes. I'll go ahead and build another encloser for the Burm.

Thanks for the input.

Dennis

Old 11-16-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
dfr
` It literally takes years to determine if two snakes can live together in safety. From issues as simple as health and environmental needs, to those as complex as behavior, it takes a long time to figure it out. Even then, if you don't have the time to watch them most of the time, you're taking a great risk with their well being.
` Get more caging, instead. Any thing you do in husbandry based on cutting corners is what's most likely to cause problems.
` Since they can transmit disease, stress, and cause stress, and show aggression towards each other not based on cannibalism, these concerns are at the top of my list. Eating each other is low on my list, if they do that, husbandry caused it. Also, communal housing is much more work, for you.
` I don't know of any vertebrate which eats meat, which will not eat its own in the right circumstances. That includes H.s.sapien.

`

Old 11-30-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
NdIndy
Why not just put the red tail in the burmese's cage and the burmese in the bigger redtail's cage?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!