Paperwork that can be trusted? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-31-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
Brent Strande
Paperwork that can be trusted?

I've always wondered about this, and figured this is probably the best place to ask about it...

How can you know if paperwork on an animal can be trusted? Also, what do people look for in paperwork?

The reason that I ask is, if some one wanted to, they could go to a notary and get a document signed yet the info could still be false. Also, does the paperwork need to include pictures?

We have only purchased two animals that are hets, and both came from Alex Hue ( www.alexhuereptiles.com ) and I trust him completely that the animals are 100% het for albino as he stated. There was no paperwork other than the emails and receipts. I am not uncomfortable with this, but I am sure that if I were ever to need to sell the snakes that people would have a hard time believing it (but I'm not planning on selling them!)

Also, I understand that alot of it has to do with your reputation in the reptile community. That is something that I really am trying to work on, but it will definitely be a slow process. I am in the middle of nowhere out here in North Dakota so I doubt if I'll be able to make many shows. The only thing that I've got going is that I can use digital cameras to provide proof of many of my animals.

Well, this turned into a longer than planned inquiry, but I would appreciate if anyone could let me know what they use or look for as documentation/paperwork.

It would be REALLY GREAT if someone could even post a picture or example as well, perhaps get some templates available?

Thanks,
Brent Strande

Old 10-31-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
Brent,

You summarized very well in this statement:

Quote:
Also, I understand that alot of it has to do with your reputation in the reptile community.
All the paperwork in the world will be worthless if the snakes are just normals. In my opinion paperwork is very useful in the event you want to sell your "investment" animal in the future. Paperwork from an established breeder that has been in the market for years and very likely will continue to be is the most valuable. Any "fly by night" individual can print paperwork, give you a hand-written receipt, or even a signed picture and two years later disappear from the face of the earth. If you buy babies and you need to generations to prove them out you are thinking of at least 6-7 years. In 6-7 years a person can flood the market with fake paperwork and then vanish.

What to ask for? I usually want a picture that shows the animal in question and its disctinctive markings, with the logo and the signature of the breeder. That's all that is needed. Never settle for photocopies of paperwork (you know, the story that "I bought several animals so I need to keep the original").

The best system I have seen so far is that of the Sutherlands. They have a database where you type the id of the animal you are about to purchase from another person who bought it from them and the picture and all pertinent information shows-up. No need for pictures or signed documents, etc.

Regards,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!