Looking for my perfect first frog, but have so many questions! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
HelloInterloper
Question Looking for my perfect first frog, but have so many questions!

Hello! I tried asking on other sites, but unfortunately haven't been able to get an answer.

I want to purchase my first frog, but don't have any clue which species would be right for me.
I am looking for a frog (or toad I guess, I'm not all that picky!) that wouldn't mind being handled. I understand that frogs aren't "cuddly" (I've had tropical fish and finches for years, so I'm used to pets with little to no interaction) but I would like to be able to take my frog out of its enclosure for a photo shoot once in a while, maybe hold it, or feed it while it's sitting on me. Looks aren't all that important to me, but I don't feel comfortable with teeny tiny amphibians. They seem so very fragile.
I also don't have any aversion to insects, so feeding live buggies will never be an issue. Worms, crickets, I'm cool with it.

Hope you all have a possible suggestion for me!
Thanks, and cheers!

Old 03-24-2017, 06:00 AM   #2
HelloInterloper
Ah bugger, can't figure out how to edit my original post.
Another important question I have is:
Does raising a frog from a tadpole make them easier to handle?

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Herpin Man
Amphibians in general can be challenging to keep. They tend to be fragile, and their porous skin makes them more susceptible to injuries, disease, and exposure to toxic substances than reptiles. Most species are also more susceptible to overheating. Therefore, one of the first rules for successful amphibian keeping, in my experience, is "look but don't touch". I have found that amphibians just seem to fare better in captivity if I can provide the correct food and environment, and then just leave them alone.
If you want a frog that you can handle occasionally, your choices are somewhat limited.
Treefrogs and toads are the first groups that come to mind. Some treefrogs, particularly White's treefrogs, tolerate handling fairly well. They are also available as captive bred. I personally favor native toads (check your state's laws) as a beginner amphibian. They have a thick skin, are slow moving, hardy, and have loads of personality. They seem to be more tolerant of keeper errors than many other species, and can tolerate limited handling.
A few things to note with any captive frog or toad:
- Provide lots of live, moving prey.
- Do not let them overheat.
- Pay close attention to water and substrate quality.
- Provide lots of hiding places.
- Keep handling to a minimum, and when you do handle, make sure your hands are clean. Perfume, bug spray, lotion, etc can be toxic, even fatal to them.
- They can and will jump from your hand. Do not hold them high up.
Do lots of research on whatever species you are planning on getting.
Regarding raising from a tadpole-
Raising your frog from a tadpole might make it more docile, in that it should acclimate to captivity more readily than a wild-caught adult. It would also be less likely to have parasites.
Good luck with whatever species you decide on.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
Cloppy
I have always liked Fire Bellied Toads. But you shouldn't handle amphibians, as their skin is porous and delicate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!