New Show in Minnesota! - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:53 AM   #101
Mark Schmidtke
Dan, why don't you E-mail me at the address I posted earlier. I should be able to dig up a few contacts that might help.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #102
northstarboasandmore
I went to where Larry's store was at in Mankato and looks to be closed unless he moved again....anyone else have any info? If he closed up that would be a shame...he had a nice store....

Old 01-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #103
The BoidSmith
Well, I've been in contact with some local breeders and members of the MN Herpetological Society. The receptivity to the idea has been from lukewarm to cold. This doesn't mean that we need to discard the idea upfront but it may mean we might not have the blessings of some. In MHO we don't need everyone's agreement to pursue such an idea. In fact I've worked in projects (Seminars) where 50% of the people was not on my side. As long as the remaining 50% don't throw rocks in one's path one can make it work. Where there's a will there's a way!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #104
Cat_72
I really don't understand why folks would be against it? I would think we would find good amount of support, especially with the lack of shows in the area, I thought most breeders would be happy with having the opportunity to vend somewhere colse to home. But I guess if one doesn't want to attend, that's their prerogative.

Aaron, I have not been to Mankato in quite some time...between work and school, I don't get much time to shop other than online, lol. His website is still up and running, with "January specials" posted, but most things are "sold out"....so I don't know. Maybe he just closed the storefront and is doing all online sales.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #105
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I really don't understand why folks would be against it? I would think we would find good amount of support, especially with the lack of shows in the area, I thought most breeders would be happy with having the opportunity to vend somewhere colse to home. But I guess if one doesn't want to attend, that's their prerogative.

Aaron, I have not been to Mankato in quite some time...between work and school, I don't get much time to shop other than online, lol. His website is still up and running, with "January specials" posted, but most things are "sold out"....so I don't know. Maybe he just closed the storefront and is doing all online sales.
And I can understand to a certain extent the perspective of those that have a storefront being not pro-shows. They view it as unfair competition as they have to cover their store overhead costs and thus charge more for their items and animals than small breeders that go to the show just for the fun of it and to sell a few animals. Stores that make most of their sales from people that walk in their business have to realize that those days are rapidly fading away. Unless there are some drastic changes with the internet sales (taxes for example), it seems that the real competition is there and not in a show that runs once a year. Stores with a storefront that are not in turn doing internet advertisement and sales are at risk. In fact that yearly show should be viewed as an advertisement tool. Maybe they will not selll that boa or corn snake to the kid that goes to the show. But how many feeders, enclosures, etc. will they sell him throughout the year? How about that extra snake he will want to have but didn't have enough money at the show. Yes, maybe they might not sell for a couple of days but there are 363 days remaining in the year to make business be it through the internet or those who walk in the store.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!