Anyone ever seen or heard of a plant eating cottonmouth? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
ChuckHurd
Question Anyone ever seen or heard of a plant eating cottonmouth?

Ok, the barrier island cottonmouths feeding on fish dropped from birds is not news to me, i have heard these reports for years. However, if i read this correctly, these researchers are reporting that cottonmouths on these islands are eating plants, and that is news to me. anyone else seen or heard of such a thing?

NEWS RELEASE
The Center for North American Herpetology
Lawrence, Kansas
http://www.cnah.org
14 November 2008

PITVIPER SCAVENGING AT THE INTERTIDAL ZONE: AN EVOLUTIONARY SCENARIO FOR
INVASION OF THE SEA

Harvey B. Lillywhite, Coleman M. Sheehy III & Frederic Zaidan III

2008 BioScience 58(10): 947-955

Abstract: It is difficult for terrestrial vertebrates to invade the sea, and little is known about the transitional evolutionary processes that produce secondarily marine animals. The utilization of marine resources in the intertidal zone is likely to be an important first step for invasion. An example of this step is marine scavenging by the Florida Cottonmouths (Agkistrodon piscivorus conanti) that inhabit Gulf Coast islands. These snakes principally consume dead fish that are dropped from colonial nesting bird rookeries, but they also scavenge beaches for intertidal carrion, consuming dead fish and marine plants, and occasionally enter seawater. Thus, allochthonous marine productivity supports the insular cottonmouth population through two pathways, and one of these pathways connects the snakes directly to the sea. The trophic ecology and behaviors of this unusual snake population suggest a requisite evolutionary scenario for the successful transition of vertebrates from a terrestrial to a marine existence.