What would you like in a show? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

View Poll Results: What would you like in a show
Good food at the show 34 31.19%
Nice, clean facility 68 62.39%
Larger variety in animals at show 90 82.57%
Reasonable price to get in 63 57.80%
Reasonable price for tables 58 53.21%
Ample parking 49 44.95%
Contests, lectures, presentations, etc. 42 38.53%
Dore prizes, raffles, give aways... 42 38.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2003, 05:02 PM   #41
Stardust
I went to the Troy show. I thought a bit small but then I didn't know it was the first. I was surprised Dachiu was there. I bought two reptiles and had a good time meeting people. I will go next time too. Are you planning on more tables next year?
You know, I live in the traverse city area, and around the cherry fest time would be great, we get flooded with people and the uppers would not have as far to go hint

Old 02-22-2003, 10:51 PM   #42
chondrogal
I attended my first herp show in Dec. 02, Pomona, CA. What a surprise that was for me. LOL, I'm accustomed to trade shows like the WWPSA show which is huge and now held at the Anaheim Convention Center yearly. Have worked in the industry for over 20 years. My direction has never been herp related but in the service industry of pet grooming.

Two weeks before the show I unexpectedly adopted a chondropython after having been reptileless for over 20 years now. Our son was encouraged in his wish to have snakes and we allowed him a pair of normal ball pythons while growing up. Time for a crash course for me...... I hit the internet hard and absorbed a lot of information rapidly and was excited about the luck of having IRBA show where I could mingle with other snake people and get the best info possible for my new snake. He came complete with all his previous supplies so I intended mostly to browse and learn and purchase whatever I might need or like to try.

I was expecting a more product oriented show, and was particularly interested in books available for purchase. More so than a reptile as I had just acquired my snake and was now looking to take proper care of him.

I was so pleasantly surprised by the vast variety of live animals including feedstock. The vendors were very generous with their time and I made certain that I gathered business cards for future reference as I made my way through the show.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to charge a fair admission fee of $5-10 depending on the venue. It's just fun people watching at these shows too, heck almost worth the price of admission in itself.

There have been some very good points made here in this thread and it's filled with great information. I like ALL pet owners to make well informed decisions before comitting to owning ANY pet. I often wonder how many people keep their pets until they die of old age. Too often many people grow tired of the pets and out the old to get the new. That part of the pet industry makes me sick. So, duh... what was my point? Anyways, I really enjoyed the only show I attended and would gladly look forward to and attend any show that is large or small within reasonable distance if promotors concentrated on the quality of the show and not too much on the quantity per se. The vendors I spoke with were more than willing to provide care sheets and customer support for any pets they sold. Large is great but can become redundant, where more unique offerings might be found at smaller more specialized shows.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:01 AM   #43
evansnakes
In response to Rozann

Thanks for coming to the show. It was small, smaller than I wanted and I was very upset about that. I had 6 vendors with a total of 14 tables just not show up. Those tables would have made for a much bigger show. When you have 200 and 14 are empty it is no big thing. When you have 40-60 and you lose that many it sucks! No calls, nothing. I was pissed. Even Reptiles Magazine told me they were coming and did not show up! That is just unreal to me how unprofessional and rude people in my industry can be. This year will be different. Most of last years vendors have already decided to return and many new ones will be there. Come and see the show again and if it is not much bigger and much better I will personally refund your money Rozann. Evan

Old 02-24-2003, 06:35 PM   #44
Stardust
I will be there, if you need any help let me know, my family live in the Rochester area so it would not be a problem

Old 02-25-2003, 11:16 AM   #45
Asuncion7
Just buttin in here, sorry

We don't get a lot of shows in our area, but when we do we go. We go with every intention of spending money, as long as someone has what I'm looking for. The one thing I had an issue withe was when someone stated charging $16 at the door and refunding with a purchase. I always bring my family to the shows, for several reason, to spend time together, they LOVE reptiles, and because we don't like doing fun stuff apart... with all that said, I have 5 children and a husband, so for someone with large families, spending $16 each, possibly less for the kids, would definitely keep us from going, just a thought....unless you implimented one purchase equals a stamp for all tickets in a family.

Old 02-25-2003, 11:42 AM   #46
Asuncion7
Unhappy oops

last post was me

Cori Asuncion

Old 02-25-2003, 02:31 PM   #47
Stardust
I agree with you 100%. I have kids too, we have this love of reptiles as a unit. I have been watching two threads closely to see what sellers are thinking. If there is a kid there ( and it might be mine) they are looking for me to buy as well. Our collection is on the rise and will get even bigger. I brought nine people with me and were a little dissappointed when there was not a lot to see or choose from. I think prices should go on a sliding scale depending on the age. Just because you are a family unit doesn't mean that you are not all there to buy. If it is not going to be a big show then put your rates accordingly.

Old 02-25-2003, 02:51 PM   #48
Asuncion7
Talking i'll keep watching

ya, my kids are always wantin' more reptiles, I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm constantly looking, buying, and taking unwanted rep's in...so for us, the shows are great, but if it's gonna cost a bundle to get in, it's not something we'll be able to do. Especially considering I may walk away with nothing. Recently went to a show looking specifically for a male veiled, nothing too special, just a young male veiled. Not one in the whole stinkin' place, I was quite disappointed, I did walk away with a female, only cause the money was burnin' a hole in my pocket, but if I can't find what I'm looking for and am not to sure their gonna have it, well I'm surely not going to pay too much just to get in. This was at the IRBA show in San Mateo, CA, I've heard word it won't be going on to much longer there...that's just whispers though, not necessarily fact. I think they only have about 15 vendors there that weekend, it was a disappointment.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:03 AM   #49
evansnakes
Well, only speaking to my show and my situation, I am charging $6 for adults, $3 for kids and the little, little guys are free. If you were to go to the zoo, most now charge $12-15 for adults and $5-7 for kids. At shows there is much more genetic and biodiversity and the opportunity to buy animals and supplies. With the exception of 2, the last dozen or so zoos that I have visited were dissapointing to me in regards to the herp collection. Also, you won't see all the neat mutations at zoos as they feel genetic mutations are something to be ashamed of, hideous freaks that should not exist. Personally, I love my little "freaks". Evan Stahl
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2003, 10:41 AM   #50
sschind
Rozann and Cori

Please don't get the feeling that the vendors hate kids (as might have been indicated in a few posts). most of them realize that they are future potential customers, if not current ones. They just don't care for ill mannered, rude, obnoxious ones, or their parents who do nothing to correct them.

Evan

$6.00 and $3.00 is reasonable in my opinion. What were the last 2 zoos that impressed you with their reptile selection.

Steve Schindler

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!