New Pennsylvania Super Shows! - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #81
Limey
Personally I LOVE the Hamburg show. Does it have some things that could be improved, yes. it looks like Denise has taken steps by reducing the amount of tables by a whole row!
I have people asking me about the show from all over the USA! The only other shows that people talk about so much are Daytona and Tinley Park.
Yes I vend there and yes I will continue to work the Hamburg shows.
Maybe it's me, I don't need plush surroundings and I can deal with being warm while I'm working a show. As a vendor I need customers that come through the door and are looking to buy reptiles or supplies.

Cheers
Limey
www.royalreptilia.com

Old 01-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #82
mikeyt
Im gonna chime in here with a few points. While I do agree with many of the aspects pointed out here there are still many things that need to be said.

First to Goombas-I dont know what show you were at, but the show was far from dead, especially at the time you said you were there. That was the peak time for buyers present at over 1,000 thru the door at that time.

Second- As far as Hamburg goes, it does have issues, and some issues have been addressed. While I have no doubt that hamburg will continue to thrive, it has been the same complaints, whining, and B.S fest for years by vendors and buyers alike. People attend there because they have no where else to go. Now last time I looked we are all adults here and if we choose to attend the Hamburg show in any way, that is our choice. BUT .... If that is your choice (vendor or buyer), man up, suck it up, put your big girl panties on, and buckle up for the ride and quit your complaining. REMEMBER ITS YOUR CHOICE, AND YOU CHOSE TO BE THERE.

Mdrepfarm- I dont know you by any means, but im glad you dont get in to these pissing matches. I have been to your shows, some that have been running for quite some time and none in my opinion even come close to the first day of the new reading show. In an already slumping economy and a time when there are already to many shows for anyone, how many more mom and pop shows do you plan on starting in rural suburbia to help this troubled business. I guess theres always a barn for rent somewhere.

Bottom line is this there are way to many little crappy shows that will eventually fade away to the larger nicer shows, and I would rather support 10 nice shows a year then 40 small ones

Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #83
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR73 View Post
Hi Stephanie,
1st of all I NEVER told vendors that if they did the other show they could no longer vend Hamburg. See the bad thing here, is ONLY one side of the story is being hear. I normally do not feed into things like this. But I have had enough of the rumors and misinformation that is out here!. And there are a few good points made. Yes the fliedhouse is crowded. We have made changes to the upcomming show with the table layout to adhere to all codes of safety. But you must remember there were 2 promoters in the building. I was not the promoter that was jamming tables everywhere possible to make more money. Once my building is full, vendor space is soldout. And Marty created his own being ask to leave the venue, since damage was created at his shows. This place is run my a volley fire co. The building is not a dump on the mrning of the show. People who can't seem to find trash cans creat the mess. So if we all take the time and treat others property as our own, things would be nicer. And as the complimentary tables, maybe you would like the whole story! I GIVE my long time vendors a show on me every year. This is a just to say THANK YOU for what they do. I have done this since I started running the shows. I must say I never seem the other promoters do that. That is b/c I actually care about the vendors. Relationships have been created over the years that are unbreakable. The long and short of this is. The other promoter would have never left the Hamburg fliedhouse unless he was asked to. And as for his show is he ran in Philly, if it was such a great show then where is it now? Hamburg will continue and if you choose to support it, great. And one last thing, try speaking with the VENDORS about show promoters. Of course "Dan" wants the show he works for to look all great. But speak to the Vendors for your real stories. There is a lot of behind the sences stuff that people know nothing about. But I don't feel it necessary to airy dirty laundry here. My goal is to continue with Hamburg since we are the LARGEST & OLDEST VENOMOUS show here.
Thanks for the response, Denise. I have been speaking directly with the vendors about all of this. This isn't third, fourth, fifth hand information. This is directly from them. You understand, I'm sure, why it would be hard to believe you over 5-10 other people who have a consistent story.

In regards to the Fieldhouse itself, it's a horrible building. There's nothing you can do to fix that. Pulling a single row of vendors out isn't going to stop the dirty, dank feel of that place. It also isn't going to stop the overcrowding of people. I simply can't support a show that makes me cringe when I step in the building. I would be embarrassed to sell my animals because that reflects on me. If Hamburg moved to a decent building (or money went into serious repairs of the Fieldhouse), I'd support it full force.

As far as the new Super Expos. The first, imo, has been a huge success. I'm excited to see how it develops over the next year.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #84
DJR73
Hi Stephanie,
I am not gonna battler over he said she said issues. I KNOW what has been going on, all of it. And we all know how the rumor mill works. You come to the source and are not happy with the answer, cause it was not what you wanted to hear. Please feel free to contact any reliable vendor, a choice was never stated from my mouth. And anyone who knows me, knows I am one of the least greediest people in this, I don't benefit from any of the show proceeds. It is all put into a "trust" for my late brothers children. But, once again this is no ones business. So you choose to attend what show you perfer. I am just asking, there is no reason to bad mouth any show, we are adults here and this little petty crap is useless & childish.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #85
TripleMoonsExotic
No, it's not that I'm not happy with the answer. I just don't believe it. I think you would be surprised who's saying what.

I agree too that the petty crap going on behind the scenes is childish. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing the whining and no one wants to do anything about it. That's why I directly asked you the questions I did publicly because no one else will. Now it's out in the open that you are denying what your vendors are saying.

Either way, this thread isn't about the Fieldhouse, but the new Super Expos. Marty pulled off a great show yesterday. Philly's a bit far for me, but we'll be attending and vending future Reading & Lancaster shows!

Congrats, Marty for your success!

--------------------

Greater Reading Expo Center
Reading PA

March 20, 2010
November 20, 2010

Greater Philadelphia Expo Center
Oaks, PA

April 17, 2010
August 28, 2010

Lancaster County Convention Center
Lancaster, PA

July 31, 2010
September 25, 2010

Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #86
Limey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Wow...

1) Have you told vendors that if they do Marty's shows they will no longer be welcome at the Fieldhouse?

As a vendor I can say that Denise has NOT said or even implied that to me.

Limey

Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #87
dragonlvr64
All I want to do, is have a customer base that knows me, continues to buy from me and has an enjoyable experience at the show.
What I saw in Reading yesterday, was a lot of children, able to look at animals they were interested in, hold them. I saw people in wheechairs, able to get right up to the table and see the animals. How awesome was it for those people ??!!!
I will not partake in any politics. I want to be able to vend where I can/want and when I want.
I would do every show within reasonable driving distance if there is room for me. I would love to be able to vend in Hamburg, it has an awesome following of loyal customers.
I want the customers happy. I want them to be able to approach me, ask me any questions they have and feel comfortable with their decision to purchase from me.
Sometimes if it is too crowded, vendors are not able to properly talk to their possible new customer, the new customer who is not familiar with particular vendor can't talk about reptile for sale and get needed info. Other customers can be pushing their way through to the tables, making that new customer feel they need to move before they are ready, thereby possibly a "lost" customer. The more experienced shopper feel they can bully their way to the tables and push others out of the way.
As a customer, if I can't see the animal, talk to the vendor, I move on. I don't want to feel rushed or bullied.
It would be great if all shows could get along, maybe with customers learning if they want children to go, handicapped people to go, they go to a particular show.
We all can help each other, we can all "feed" each other. We can say where our next show is and promote that show by telling others of it. Positive customer response will help all. They will be the ones who make or break the show in the long run. Make the customer happy. Give them a great experience. They are paying for it and as all vendors know bad info carries faster that good info.
With all the people who attend and all the sales, it appears that there is enough to go around!

just my thoughts for the morning...

Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #88
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
As a vendor I can say that Denise has NOT said or even implied that to me.
Thanks for the info. You are not one of the vendors I have heard this from obviously (nor has your name ever come up). I went into asking my questions knowing that vendors wouldn't publicly confirm what's being said behind the scenes. Some are afraid that it would risk their spot at Hamburg. Understandable. No hard feelings. I wanted to give Denise the opportunity to state her piece on it and she has.

Cindy, great post! I agree 100%.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #89
DJR73
Hi Cindy,
I totally agree with you. Thank God, for someone who comes here with a reasonable head, not wanting to fling any trash.

And as for Stephanie, who would not know me if she fell over me, obviously does not know me. And I must say, I am far from a feared person, that people can not talk to. So back your words up, if you want to talk this trash tell me who is saying it. If you will not, then you are all blah blah blah, just wanting to start issues. And I am far above that, to waste any more of my time on you. Remember what your mother might have told you, IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, THEN STHU!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #90
mdrepfarm
follow up

This will be my last post as stated before pissing matches are not my cup of tea. Now that Denise has mentioned where the proceeds from her shows goes here's the background When her brother passed away with no insurance she told his lawyer that she wanted to run the shows to benift his 2 daughters. He suggested she contact me for advice I stalled her & then called many of the bigger vendors & not only got them to support her but being a single father I got them to donate a portion of their profits to a trust fund that I had the lawyer set up ( he also breeds pythons & boas ). Her & her husband both have good paying secure jobs She does this totatlly for his girls. And Mikey T I must address some of your statements. My shows are set up to be small so the public can get their needs on a regular basis at good prices & allow you all to have time to speak to the vendors one on one without the hussle of a large show. Keep in mind that small shows are the backbones of the larger ones. This country was founded on mom & pop businesses. When a big entity like Target will not allow the Salvation Army or Toys for Tots to operate at their locations what does that say for big business. Rural areas Hell yeah I grew up in a rural area of Md & live in a very rural area of Pa How about the kids in those areas whose parents won't drive 3 hrs or more to a big show or the folks who rely on those shows for their monthly needs. If I wanted to run a large show I'd be doing it. Barn? I use a community center in Md a fairgrounds in Va as well as a Holiday in i both states & finally a Shriner's Temple in Va ( problem with that one as the proceeds from the rental there helps kids at the Shriner's hospital ). I will continue to promote new shows in rural areas & keep them small as many of us full time vendors depend on these shows to pay our bills & enable us to set up at the larger shows. Finally it'll all be a mute point if you all keep wasting your time & engery on this BS. Work on the senate bill 373 instead cause if it goes through it will be the end of all shows period. Nuff said & say what you want you'll hear no more from me In fact I won't even bother to check for replies. I need to stop this bill It's time to ban together instead of this BS

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!