Greater Nashville Reptile Show?!?! Warning / Potential problems. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #21
dwedeking
Quote:
I am actually supposed to have a table for Sunday only.
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but do you see the illogic of this? You want to wait and see how the show is today before spending money on a new show (ok no problem there) but then in the next breath you state you want it to be a success? How can it be a success if the vendors are waiting to see how many people show up before buying a booth? The people are going to the show to see vendors. If no vendors are there then they will tell their friends not to go. A large number of Sunday visitors at shows are there because someone told them about the show on Saturday.

First year shows rarely make money for vendors. It is an investment by vendors in the show promoter (I know I've done some first year shows as a vendor).

Old 07-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #22
CornCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but do you see the illogic of this? You want to wait and see how the show is today before spending money on a new show (ok no problem there) but then in the next breath you state you want it to be a success? How can it be a success if the vendors are waiting to see how many people show up before buying a booth? The people are going to the show to see vendors. If no vendors are there then they will tell their friends not to go. A large number of Sunday visitors at shows are there because someone told them about the show on Saturday.

First year shows rarely make money for vendors. It is an investment by vendors in the show promoter (I know I've done some first year shows as a vendor).
I have been struggling with that, actually. I was at work earlier and did not get to finish my post...we had an emergency come in. Anyway, if I do this show on Sunday it will be my first show ever. I am not sure I want my first show to be one that is just starting out. On the other hand, I keep telling myself that if I don't go, then I will not be doing my part to help make it a success. I'll have to weigh ALL aspects before making a final decision, though.

Old 07-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #23
CornCrazy
So, I talked about everything with my family and have made a decision. I decided to set up a table tomorrow. I think it is important to help make the show a success.

Old 07-02-2005, 06:25 PM   #24
Michael Jacobi
Exclamation False advertising

Always go with your first instinct.

I posted here originally to warn potential vendors and attendees alike of the improbability of a successful show in TN, especially Nashville. I had many reservations and these were confirmed as I made inquiries with many people more familiar with the promoters. It all proved out today.

At the same time, I learned from the biggest herp shop in Nashville that the promoter had called there and mentioned my first post here, which although I still to consider to be just cautionary they took as a "personal slam". They told my colleague at the shop that they would give me free tables if I retracted what I wrote and supported the show. That should have been enough of a red flag to stay far away from the show, but in an attempt to be supportive of the slim chance of a successful show here in town I contacted the promoters and made a deal on three tables.

I set up last night and there were approximately 350 people who came through the door Friday night. Since it is unusual to have a show open on Friday night I didn't worry too much about attendance figures. However, less than half of the vendor tables were filled, which had me doubting the promoters claims of sold out or almost sold out vendor space. I already thought their claim of 6000 pre-sold tickets, which anybody who knows anything about shows (ask a professional promoter like Tony Cueto or Wayne Hill) knows was ridiculous and impossible! This morning the promoters scrambled to spread out everyone and remove the empty tables so it wasn't obvious how few vendors there were (less than 20). Twin Oaks, a huge vendor must have had 25 tables or more themselves! I then found out that the promoter called Aquatic Critter, the herp shop mentioned above, and told them they could have all the tables they wanted free because they needed to fill up space. Aquatic Critter had turned them down for weeks and turned them down again. The manager Travis told me that the promoter (Kellie) was very persistent, not taking "no" for an answer until he finally had to put the phone down.

After 2 pm this afternoon there were more vendors than attendees and I decided to cut my losses. I don't know how many bad shows I have driven home from on Sunday wishing I had not gone or at least been smart enough to bail on Saturday. I am too busy to stand around talking wasting time and I made the decision to pack up and leave. My fellow vendors were grumbling and talking about leaving - I decided to set the precedent and start the exodus. The largest livestock vendor there actually was paying an employee to count how many people came in; they were furious with the lie on the show website claiming 6000 pre-sold tickets. After all of my stuff was packed and we started to load out the promoters approached me accusing me of being unprofessional by leaving. Well, I've been in business for 23 years without their approval and I think I'll be able to continue without it. With 3000+ animals to care for and a new issue of my magazine to get out I couldn't afford to waste my time, even so close to home. The promoters were confrontational and denied they lied. How can anyone be so stupid? Did they think that vendors who have done shows for many years can't tell the difference between 600 spectators and 6000! It boggles my mind how they could keep looking me in the eye and claiming to have sold those tickets. I sarcastically asked if they were all (the other 5000+ people) coming later and they stuck to their lie - including the lie regarding the sold out vendor tables - and said "yes". I've been doing shows for over 15 years and I have never been at a show that had a better Sunday than Saturday. Generally, you do twice as much business on Saturday for a two day event. And here it was half way through the day and they still had the fantasy of 5000 more people showing up tonight and tomorrow. I was flabbergasted with these two and insulted. When we exchanged heated words Kellie's husband, Troy, was actually willing to go outside to fight me. Not only would that have been incredibly stupid on his part, but it was completely unprofessional. Even if I was losing my cool - I can't stand liars, especially those who don't even blink as they do - as a promoter he should ensured that no scene was created. He did walk away and I tried to calm down and not sink to their level and explain to Kellie that they had done some nice things with the show and I just was upset about the public lie (they claim 6000 pre-sold tickets on their website). She told me to leave and I did. Simple as that.

In all of these years I have never got into a confrontation with a promoter or anyone else with regards to business, much less got into one that might have turned ugly and required police intervention. As late as yesterday morning I was considering not attending and I should have gone with my gut feeling, based on a great deal of experience. My record in the herp and invert business speaks for itself. I'm sure this won't be the last negative report you here with regards to the Wikel's/Swift's/exotics2aquatics. I personally will have nothing to do with them so excuse me in advance if I don't reply to any further posts they might make here.

It all comes down to this. I have never left a show early in 15+ years. I have never got into a confrontation (with the possibility of a fistfight no less) in 20+ years in business. Unfortunately, it took a show in my backyard promoted by stone-faced liars to bring about this sad day in my career.

Cheers, Michael

Old 07-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #25
CornCrazy
WOW!

Michael, I am sorry things turned out the way it did! I think I am going to reconsider again and forget this show. I am sorry I cannot support a show so close to home. It sound as if I need to make my first show an established one! I am new to this hobby (only been at it for about 3 1/2 years). I definitely do not want my first show to be a bad experience. Thank you for the heads up!

By the way, if Aquatic Critter has been telling them no for so long, then why is the store listed on the website? That's false advertising!

Old 07-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #26
Matt Haines
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornCrazy
I have been struggling with that, actually. I was at work earlier and did not get to finish my post...we had an emergency come in. Anyway, if I do this show on Sunday it will be my first show ever. I am not sure I want my first show to be one that is just starting out. On the other hand, I keep telling myself that if I don't go, then I will not be doing my part to help make it a success. I'll have to weigh ALL aspects before making a final decision, though.
I did that with the Lititz, Pa. show. It was an established show but a new guy took it over. That was my first show as a vendor and it turned out to be a bust. Where as in years past the show was packed and you couldn't find parking, this year the lot was half empty. I have no problem with trying to make a show successful but overall it was very much not worht my while. $ hour drive + 50 dollar table + nothing sold= not a good time.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:04 PM   #27
Matt Haines
$=4. Edit will be worth the 10 dollars next week.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:01 AM   #28
chaotic9
thank you for posting, michael

you save me a 3 hour trip each way. i had my doubts, but now i'm glad i'm not going tomorrow.

As for pre-selling 6000 tickets, that amazes me. I've NEVER pre-ordered my ticket for admission to a show. Not for KY, Indy, Atlanta, Daytona, Tinley Park, etc. Nice try though.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:28 AM   #29
Matt Haines
That struck me as odd as well. Pre-selling vendor tables, yes, but I have never seen anything for pre-sale tickets or heard of anyone buying a pre-sale ticket to go as a consumer.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #30
Michael Jacobi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornCrazy

By the way, if Aquatic Critter has been telling them no for so long, then why is the store listed on the website? That's false advertising!
Yes it is. Travis, the AC manager, isn't on the 'net much so I called him every day and told him he was still listed as a vendor. He told me that he had told them no in no uncertain terms, yet they continued to list them. AC never had ANY intention of doing this show. They know the promoters all too well and I should've listened to what they told me.

Cheers, Michael

PS - It's a 10 hour plus drive, but I recommend you consider your first vending experience to be at the Raleigh show in Fall. Tony Cueto puts on pro shows. Closer to home, you might try St. Louis.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread