More input wanted... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
DAND
Question More input wanted...

What could show promoters provide or do at future shows/events that would make them more successful for all parties (i.e. promoter, vendor and customer) involved?

Old 05-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
Casey Hulse
Quote:
What could show promoters provide or do at future shows/events that would make them more successful for all parties (i.e. promoter, vendor and customer) involved?
I was at a show once where the promoter had people there to help unload the vehicles and carry the supplies in. I know other shows have people who will help for a "tip," but at this show they expected nothing because they worked for the promoter. All of the vendors really appreciated the help.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Hulse
I was at a show once where the promoter had people there to help unload the vehicles and carry the supplies in. I know other shows have people who will help for a "tip," but at this show they expected nothing because they worked for the promoter. All of the vendors really appreciated the help.
I've attended shows that provided help unloading, but when the show was over you were on your own. The help was greatly helpful and made things move more smoothly especially when you have a number of vendors arriving at the same time.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
DAND
Question Anything else?

No one has any other suggestions? All the promoters of shows out there are providing all they possibly could to ensure the show could be successful?

Old 05-14-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
eric adrignola
I think some sort of way of maximizing the public's knowledge would be great. Many shows offer educational seminars, but they often draw few people. I enjoy taliing to people at shows, and informing them,but I can do that pratially because I'm in a position to do so. many vendors are not, as they really HAVE to sell things, and taking the time to talk to people can cost them money. I wish people woudl all take the time, but it's overly idealistic to expect that out of everyone, who must sell to put food on their tables - I sell to finance my hobby, so I'm in a different position than most vendors. If promoters took soem time to set up a table of volunteers, or provide table discounts even, as incentive to vendors who wish to be designated as "husbandry and information booths".

For instance, a vendor that wished to have his name and booth location printed on a show flier, and to have t known that he woudl be willing to answer questions and inform people, could maybe be given a discount, either on the table, or on advertizing in said flier.

Some vendors are very willing to do this. Iv'e seen some people crowding around a vendor, to see if he woudl sex the animals they just purchased - from someone else. Not everyone likes that, of course, so doing it in a voluntary way would be great - it might help the vendors who do not wish to be "bothered" with questions as well.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
DAND
I used to attend a show that had my herp vet at a table which consisted of a piece of poster board with the words "Ask the Vet". That was her table and she not only answered customers questions but vendors questions too.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric adrignola
Some vendors are very willing to do this. Iv'e seen some people crowding around a vendor, to see if he woudl sex the animals they just purchased - from someone else. Not everyone likes that, of course, so doing it in a voluntary way would be great - it might help the vendors who do not wish to be "bothered" with questions as well.
Vendors that DO NOT WISH to sex their animals before they offer them for sale, shouldn't be at shows selling the animals.
It doesn't matter if they are CB or imported.

Unless, like with the smaller herps, when sex can not be determend until they are a bit older.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
homegrownherps
I personally would like to see LESS of the harder to care for imported animals that do not usually survive more than 2 moths after they are sold.

I would also like to see more information given to the buyer.
For instance .....when a vendor sells a Burmese (or similar) they MUST inform the buyer of all the info to care for that animal , especially the fact that it will be 5-7 feet in a years time.

And as mentioned on the other thread CARE SHEETS should be mandatory.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric adrignola
That would be my table. I'm the guy that got labeled as the one to go to, to have your snake sexed. I've had people come ask me to probe or pop this snake they want to get from someone else but the vendor doesn't know the sex. I not only have other customers but vendors coming to my table to have animals sexed. The promoter of one show was even sending people to my table. I don't have a problem doing this. I for one would like to be sure that the animal I am purchasing is properly sexed.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:47 PM   #10
eric adrignola
I remember, years ago, my friend Pete in PA, had a table at the Pottstown show up in PA. Everyone was swarming him , not just to buy chameleons. He was sexing people's other purchases, telling them what to do - and it didnt' bother him a bit. Some people get annoyed, and it's understandable.

It COULD get in the way of sales, but I have noticed that IF you are the person giving out information, then people will stand around and wait for you, so you don't really lose a sale.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!