More input wanted... - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #31
eric adrignola
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrypayne
Don't you think that the animals for sale should be healthy? And not walking dead as someone posted it earlier>

Well, that's beside the point completely - nobody should be selling
unhealthy animals. It's irrelevant.

A promoter that uses his positon as promoter to undercut vendors is
simply not going to be in business long - as evidenced by your
example. That's unethical and simply bad business.

Was the vendor in question at the SC show doing that? Was he
lowering his prices any more so than the average vendor would? Or
were they simply using their abilities as promoter to secure a prime table
location?

Of course, being the promoter puts you in a position to have greater
freedom and control over things. It should be expected that the person
would not have any advantage over the other vendors, aside from
having first choice in table selection. IF they were to do anything that
gave them an unfair advantage over other vendors (choice table
location, advertizing, etc don't count in my opinion), they would draw
the ire of the vendors, and their career would be short. If you feel that
their ability to manage a show properly is impaired by their time spent
vending, then there's a problem that must be resolved.

Aside from unethical practices, it's THEIR show, and who's to stop
them from vending at their own venue?

Old 05-16-2006, 02:23 PM   #32
audrypayne
I think that perhaps planning & preparing the show may have greatly impared his ability to care for his animals properly. That is two entirely different responsibilities. Possibly more than the person in question was capable of handling.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #33
norsmis
No these were shows in the midwest w while back. But IMHO, a promoter selling at a show he is promoting causes a clash of interest so to say. The promoter's job is to look out for the vendors who paid money for their tables (and sometimes this isn't cheap), not selling his own animals.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #34
DAND
The whole issue of someone undercutting prices is something that I have seen. I have not had this affect me so much as I have seen it's affects on others. I have everything priced prior to a show. If someone else has the same for a lower price then more power to them. You will have those who are driven by lower prices when making the decision to purchase from someone. While others are looking for quality.

I have had people say to me "so and so has it cheaper" and I reply "well, I breed these and guarantee these are eating and healthy but feel free to purchase from them if you would like."

Old 05-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #35
norsmis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
The whole issue of someone undercutting prices is something that I have seen. I have not had this affect me so much as I have seen it's affects on others. I have everything priced prior to a show. If someone else has the same for a lower price then more power to them. You will have those who are driven by lower prices when making the decision to purchase from someone. While others are looking for quality.

I have had people say to me "so and so has it cheaper" and I reply "well, I breed these and guarantee these are eating and healthy but feel free to purchase from them if you would like."
And I agree with this also BUT.... for a person to promote a show, charge you for a table, take the best tables in the place, and the undercut you on prices is just low. I still say a show promoter should not sell animals at the show even of they don't undercut the other vendors because like I said before, he makes his money from ticket and table sales.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #36
eric adrignola
Just curious - which SC show promoter is this?

Old 05-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #37
norsmis
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric adrignola
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsmis
No these were shows in the midwest w while back.
Not in SC....

Old 05-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #38
audrypayne
Eric, for the name of the SC promoter, check your p.m. I do not wish to make his name public.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #39
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric adrignola

The S.C. Show I was referring to was the Lowcountry Reptile and Amphibian Expo in Ladson at the Exchange Park.
The promoter is/was Upper-Works Sports Marketing
and Events. I believe his name is John Constantinou.

That was the show in which most of the vender's were under the impression that Roark Ferguson was the one promoting the show and setting everything up.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #40
eric adrignola
Add me to that list - I had thought he was running it as well. I knew the
upper works was involved, but I thought Roark was the promoter.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!