Would you attend a yearly herp show in Minneapolis? - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

View Poll Results: Would you like a yearly herp show in MN?
Yes, I would like to see a yearly show in Minneapolis or Saint Paul 18 85.71%
I'm willing to pay a reasonable priced ticket to attend 13 61.90%
I usually spend in excess of $100 yearly in herp related purchases. 14 66.67%
If possible I would like to see this happen before the end of the year. 9 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2006, 03:19 AM   #81
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Call me crazy if you will, but to me the Twin Cities deserves a two-day event. Location: Roseville area in any of the hotels close to HW 36 and HW 35.

Why?

1. Easy access.
2. Dates: Saturday and Sunday September 1st and 2nd, 2007.
3. Reason: Minnesota State Fair 10 minutes away. Total attendance in 2006: 1,680,579 people.

By no means I'm suggesting competition with that event but just piggyback in that huge audience (families, teens, children). The fair starts the previous weekend we have one whole week to advertise in that event for the local folks. Can anyone imagine if only 0.1% of those that attend the State Fair decide out of curiosity to visit the reptile show?

Regards.
Dan, I think this is a great idea -- date, location, etc all sound good. I'd do it.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #82
kare
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
Dan, I think this is a great idea -- date, location, etc all sound good. I'd do it.
Well, as someone who works in the Roseville area (17 years!) good luck getting a place to host and parking. All parking lots convert for parking and shuttles to the fair. Also, the herp society will be doing the Renaissance Festival, so you won't find assistance there. I take vacation at that time every year, so I won't be around. The fair opens its doors at 6am and closes at midnight. Myself (and my family) always spend a full day (okay, we start at 9am) at the fair. Won't be making any detours that day. I think you may find most people thinking that way. But if you can find a place that would be capable of hosting it, I will send my best wishes with you. I'm still of the mind that we should throw ALL our support to Larry and get his show established first.

Just my own opinion.

Kare

Old 12-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #83
The BoidSmith
Kare,

Where's the Renaissance festival located?

Regards.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #84
Monte
South of the Twin Cities - probably a 20 minute drive.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #85
kare
The Renaissance is in Savage, MN area. (South) About 20 minutes from downtown Minneapolis and about 45 minutes in good traffic from Roseville. (Roseville is on the North side of the Twin Cities)

Old 12-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #86
The BoidSmith
What kind of activity does the Herpetological society has there during the event?

Regards.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #87
Otter_23
From what I have seen from the pictures it seems they just have the reptiles and let people see them and handle some of them.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #88
Cat_72
It's been several years since I've been to the Renaissance Festival, but I honestly don't remember seeing any reptiles there, other than one guy walking around with a large Burm. It was awfully cold that day, so they may have not had them on display, however.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #89
kare
The Herp Society has a building they work out of. The volunteers are in costume and walk among everyone at the festival. Sometimes there are small shows/lectures. The volunteers (hopefully 2-3) work in shifts and someone is there every single weekend covering all the shifts. (The Renaissance runs weekends only from mid-August until the first weekend of October, plus Labor Day)

Old 12-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #90
northstarboasandmore
any one hear if Larry has set a date for a spring show?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!